Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2009 Taurus Transmission 6F50 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 07:10 PM

Exactly. I didn't ask what the capacity is, because I already know and yet you said the capacity is 5 1/2 - 5 3/4 qt, which is wrong, and you told me how to fill the transmission, which is also not what I asked.

Anyway, I asked someone selling their transmission distick how long it is and it's the same as mine. Now I know the transmission is over-filled (it came that way) and that's the only way it works. On to the next question in my original post. Why would it require over 4 extra quarts to work? I don't need anyone to tell me there's something wrong with it. I know. The question is, what would cause that? I'm looking for someone familiar with the build of this transmission. I don't need anyone to tell me to take it to a shop.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:01 AM

I'm sure you know by this time, there can be several reasons for the present problem your vehicle's trans has.
If you want answers that equate to "Shooting from the hip" , just think up a few. You seem to be looking for the "Silver bullet" and transmissions are too complicated to just throw out that laundry list. Certain tests need to be done and results reviewed. You may not get a definite answer because there are too many variables .
If you doubt or don't agree with the suggestions offered, go to a trans shop and get it from them.
I can tell you there is a filter inside the trans that could have a problem. Trans has to be opened up to change it,that is the way it is designed. The rest now is up to you..

Old 08-15-2020, 02:39 AM

In my original post, I asked about the filter/pickup being the problem because I thought that may be the only reason it would require more fluid. The filter acts as the oil pickup and if it's broken or detached then the fluid level would need to be a little higher to reach the inlet. I was just checking if anyone knew of any other possible reason extra fluid may be required. I doubt there could be many other reasons. So far I haven't received any help here.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:59 AM

I believe I can understand your frustration, however, if you can't get the answers you seek here, why not read up on the trans or get the answers you want by checking with a trans shop that can show you what you are dealing with. .