Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

96 Ford Taurus G L Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 PM

Thanks again for your help--It was the pump and now the ford is back on the road---It's always nice to have a lift (friend has residential garage w (2) lifts ) and was a quick fix. I did notice the splice made in the line going to the connector. I heard someone post here that this would also cause failure and tpo make sure the splice was good--it was-----Pretty nice of Ford to put a splice before the pump connector--Go figure.

There is one more problem and hope I'm not being a pain---My Air Bag light inside / dash is flashing the code 5 & 1 =51.---From what I understand this is a fuse link---Is this true and if so where is it located. My buddy told me he thinks it's in a module over the steering column in a black box.(Air Bag module) Does this mean I have to replace the whole module or is it just a fuse---Please explain if you know what I'm talking about..Again thanks!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

The air bag diagnostic monitor (module) is behind the radio/integrated control panel.. If your getting a LFC 51 then the 'internal' fuse inside the monitor is blown.. It's not a servicable fuse and the monitor will need to be replaced.. 'BUT', plugging in a new diagnostic monitor if any of the system components are shorted to ground, harness issues, or the bags have/had been deployed prior (?) with only some of the parts replaced can possibly take out the fuse again.. Code 51 means that the system was shorted intermittent/temp, and LFC 13 flashed would be for a continuing short to ground as a higher priority code..

Old 03-14-2009, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
The air bag diagnostic monitor (module) is behind the radio/integrated control panel.. If your getting a LFC 51 then the 'internal' fuse inside the monitor is blown.. It's not a servicable fuse and the monitor will need to be replaced.. 'BUT', plugging in a new diagnostic monitor if any of the system components are shorted to ground, harness issues, or the bags have/had been deployed prior (?) with only some of the parts replaced can possibly take out the fuse again.. Code 51 means that the system was shorted intermittent/temp, and LFC 13 flashed would be for a continuing short to ground as a higher priority code..
Thanks again for responding---What is the proper step by step procedure I should take to remedy this error? Can pull the radio to access the Module? I am sure you will know what to do---LOL Will a diagnostic PC tell me where to start? Or is there an easier method--anything to save $$$--Thanks!

Old 08-30-2009, 06:00 AM

This was a Bad Fuel Pump--replaced and working great---Thx. Hayapower!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Default 96 taurus

my car will start then cuts right off....checked filter it was fine......while i had filter off i turn key the pump kicks on for a sec shoots gas out then cuts right off....is the pump definately my problem?pump is $123.00 n is a good little job to replace.......please help