Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Fuel injection problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Default Fuel injection problems

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and am having some problems with my grandmothers 2001 Taurus with a 3.0L V6. She got to where she couldnt drive anymore, so we sat it in our yard for her last year and it's just been sitting. But now our family needs an extra car so we decided to try it. It'll crank, but it wont start. It seems that it's getting to much fuel (before when she was driving it, she got horrible gas mileage and it was lacking power, we thought it was the catylitic convertor being blocked, but its seeming to be the fuel injection) and it wont turn over. We've checked all the sparkplugs to see if they're firing, and we made sure it's getting fuel. But now it's get so much that it's pouring out the exhaust pipe as we crank it. My family has always been working on older Jeeps, so we have no idea how these new-fangled electronic fuel injectors work. Could you please give me some info on what it is that needs to be replaced?Thanks

Old 10-24-2012, 03:13 PM

With fuel coming out the exhaust pipe, if it is fuel, that's not good.
Do you know if there was any type security (anti-theft)system with the vehicle?
If it has a special coded key it will crank all day , but never start without the correct key.
Next--a bad Mass Air Flow Sensor could give some of the symptoms you describe, but before that make sure there is clean good quality fuel in the tank or it won't start without it.
If the vehicle ran before it was parked it should start providing the fuel is good.
If you unplug the MAF sensor it should start if the sensor is defective.
Last but not least and this happens more than people think.
An animal may have made a home under the hood somewhere and you need to make sure no wires have been chewed and that the intake system is clear so the engine can breathe.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:41 PM

you might want to check the fuel regulator ! pull the hose off of it and check for gas, there should be no gas in the vacuum hose !