Ford Tempo/Probe These small cars offered a sporty feel and affordable price.

89 Probe Fuel Pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:19 AM
Default 89 Probe Fuel Pump problem

Hey Everybody,
Got an 89 Probe, 2.2L, non-turbo. Fuel pump does not run. The fuel pump is ok. I've pulled and run it outside the car. There are only 2 other components that I know of that could be preventing the pump from running. (Fuse is good.) They are the fuel pump relay and something called the Inertia Switch. I can check the relay, but I don't even know where this Inertia Switch is! So questions: What does it do? Where is it? and Do I need it--Can I jump around it. It's a dealer item and god only knows if they even still make the thing.
Thanks for your ears.
Steve

Old 03-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Default RE: 89 Probe Fuel Pump problem

Yeah - inertia switch. They used to call these impact sensors. Anyhow it's a resettable switch. There's a reset button to push on it somewhere under a panel (usually in the rear of the car). It cuts off the fuel in case of an accident (or unfortunately if you bump your car around too hard). You likely will not need a new one. The owners manual should tell you how to reset it.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:14 AM

Hey Goingstrong,
Thanks for that quick reply. That is very good news, but I bought the car used and never had an owner's manual. Any hints where to look for this reset button? I have looked all around the interior and don't see any sign of it. The wiring all seems to come from the front of the car so I thinking this button is not anywhere in the trunk. Do you suppose if I called a dealer they could help me out with this?
Again, many thanks for your help. I think I'll try a Google search just for the hell of it.

Have a great weekend!
Steve

Old 03-02-2007, 05:45 AM

Well after a Google search I found the following link.

http://www.analogstereo.com/pdf/om/p...anual_1996.pdf

Now to be honest with you I didn't think that there was a 1996 Probe. I thought the last year was 1993 but I'm wrong about stuff all the time. But anyway hopefully the switch is still in the same place and this fixes the problem. That would really be sweet. Of course it makes me feel kinda stupid that this car has been out of commission because I didn't know about a stupid reset button.

Steve

Old 03-02-2007, 03:43 PM

If you're having trouble finding it - look for it to be mounted near an access panel or, if it's anything like my Mustang, it may be under the trunk latch. Also, there may be other actual impact sensors on the car and if they are damaged goods (usually not resettable) they could need replaced - but that would only be on a car that was previously wrecked and a body shop guy put the old one back on. On my Mustang the reset switch is a small box with a red button on the bottom.