Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

93 T-bird LX troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Default 93 T-bird LX troubles

Ok, so i have a 93.. possibly 92, T-bird LX, and i'm starting to have soem troubles with it stalling.
Started last winter really, stalled out twice on the same stretch of road, same intersection actually, just different sides, on different days, on a short drive. But it started up again shortly after, and then that was it, didn't stall after or anything, so i didn't worry about it. figured it was just the bitter cold (-30C kind temp)
Now, after replaceing x number of other parts on the car, summer comes around, was driving just around the city and the car stalls out. Engine didn't cough or sputter (atleast to my memory) just shut off. and coasted till the power steering died out and was stuck at the side of the road. Popped the hood, and let it cool for a bit, and it started, got about a block down, and stalled out again. Let it cool, and it started back up, managed to get home on it. Stalled out again after cruising around with a friend, this timeI was just sittin infront of her house, and the engine felt like it was firing out of time or something (feeling reminded me of when you see a fan or something out of balance tryin to spin up) soI shut it off, and it wouldn't start again for another good 15 minutes or so. but managed to get home on it. Third time stalled out and managed to coast it into a parking lot. And again, had to wait.
I've noticed it running kinda choppy when sitting at a stop light, or what ever as well. Granted that could be just my own worries about it coming out.

So this always seems to happen after been driving for an hour plus, so needless to say I've been drivingas little asI can manage. Checked the fluids, and pretty well topped up for the most part, like within reason. The temprature gauge never goes up that high, or to anything that would really make me worry, so i'm wondering if thats fried or something. Or if its something like the plugs aren't firing right, so its stalling becuase of that. I donno. Any thoughts? Anyone else experiancing anything like that at all?

And I know, I know, I should just go get it checked out, but I don't wanna go blow a whole buncha money and have them say, "Oh, you just need new spark plugs..." or something like that

Old 09-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Default RE: 93 T-bird LX troubles

I'd start with the distributor ignition module (bolted to the distributor) or coil packs (magnetos) - if you have distributorless ignition. Yes - also look at your spark plugs and wires and coil (if you have a distributor and haven't been there). It sounds like an ignition problem - but could also be fuel starvation.Put on newfuel filter (*** relieve fuel system pressure first at intake fuel rail). With new filter on check fuel pump pressure at fuel rail with a guage (never play with pressure valve if possible). If these things are OK and you still have problems you may want to look at your timing belt or chain.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Default RE: 93 T-bird LX troubles

Sweet,I'll take a look. I got new plugs and air filter and PCV valve, so hopefully that will help...