Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

95 T-bird Runs till warm thencuts off

Old 11-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Default 95 T-bird Runs till warm thencuts off

It just started this friday. It was running good I punched the gas. It sputtered. Now it will run fine till it warms up. Then it wants to stall like it is out of gas. It also has an idle surge. Replaced fuel filter and tps already. The problem is still there. This is a 95 with the 4.6 v8 in it.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:29 PM

Got a 95 T too! Haven't experienced any problems yet, but would like to see some thoughts on your shut-off. Also want to see if I can actually post. Best of Success! Fuel pump?

Old 11-03-2013, 02:14 PM

Did the problem start shortly after you purchased gas?
What do you need to do to get it restarted?
Does it start up easily right away?
What kind of miles are on the clock?
When were the plugs and/or wires last replaced?
Any add ons on the vehicle?
Any other maintenance recently done to it?
There can be several possibilities for the problem and any addl info might help, thanks.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:23 PM

I had just filled it up and drove over 50 miles. It sputters when I try to restart like its out of gas. I have to wait 5 minutes or so, then it will start up and run fine for a while or a short period (from a block or two to 20 miles) then the same thing, it stalls. Mileage is unknown the odometer is broken, (shows 112000). New plugs, wires and coil pack 3 months ago. It is stock at the moment. Changed the oil and tranny fluid as well as filters about 3 months ago.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:22 PM

OK, at this point we don't know if it's electrical or fuel.
If you know how to check for spark, do that at the time it quits. Or you can get a can of carb & choke cleaner and spray a short shot of the stuff into the intake. If it starts right up chances are good it's a fuel problem, but don't draw any conclusions just yet because a bad fuel pump relay could be the cause of no fuel and that's an electrical problem.
Also, if it starts right up, that, most of the time would confirm that spark is available.
If you can get the answers to those questions it would help to pin down where the problem might be. Is there any chance you can have the computer checked for any history codes? Some auto supply stores will do this free of charge like Autozone.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:36 PM

There is one thing that can cause the symptoms your vehicle is showing and one way to confirm that is , the crankshaft sensor is located just behind the power steering pump section. They are known for opening electrically when they get warm/hot and of course with no crank signal the engine quits. What I have done that has helped confirm that for me was to dump some cold water on the sensor and if the engine starts right up , the sensor is defective.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:41 AM

Ok finally had time to tinker with the bird. It seems as if when it acts up it will start and run a bit after spraying cold water around sensor area. I am going to replace sensor and see if that fixes it.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:11 PM

Update. I have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, pickup screen. No change in symptoms. Replaced maf sensor now it runs again. New problem stutters after child start. Also will stutter after warms up good. On the cold start I can Rev the engine. After warm up it acts as if is miss firing. Thinking it may be the throttle positioning sensor?