General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

67 galaxie 500 starting circuit

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Default 67 galaxie 500 starting circuit

Hi everyone new to the site and have a question. My name is Jen and I just bought my first vintage car. Its a 67 gal 500 289 auto. It's in very good shape body wise and dose not need a lot to pass a saftey but the main thing I am stuck with is the fact that it will start in any gear and the garage will not pass that. My husband noticed that someone has bypassed the neutal saftey switch by cutting a red wire with a blue stripe coming from the neutral saftey switch going to the ignition switch. He then disconnected the brown wire from the solinoid and ran a new brown wire through the firewall to the red/blue wire coming out of the ignition switch. The car starts fine with the trans. in any position. We bought a brand new neutral safety switch and returned all wires to there original positions adjusted the switch and all we get is a clicking sound from a little aluminium box under the dash. My husband thinks this may be a relay but we do not have a wiring diagram yet. we are still trying to find a service manual.We just don't know what to check next. That is all stopping us from putting it on the road everything else has been done. We switched it all back to the bypass positions and it still starts fine but in any gear. Any sugestions would be so greatly apperciateted. Thanks Jen

Old 06-08-2013, 06:11 PM

It is possible that the relay clicks but does not complete the circuit. You could put a finger on the relays while the better half turns the key. That will tell you which relay is the starter relay. Exchange it with another relay (I am sure there are 2 or 3 of the same kind) and see if that fixes it. I think there is also a fuseable link somewhere. This diagram is supposedly for a '68 Galaxy:

Last edited by bluewind; 06-08-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:47 PM

Maybe I can be of some help.
Thank you bluewind for the diagram.
If you took that red/blue wire from the ignition switch and ran it to the new neutral safety switch then out of the neutral safety switch to the starter relay small terminal.
I am not sure if your starter relay is mounted on the inner fender or the firewall. In either case it gets it's ground through it's mounting bolts.
The purpose of the brown wire is to supply 12 volts to the ignition coil for starting only. So as shown in the diagram, the brown wire that comes from the coil should be connected to the same terminal on the relay that goes down to the starter.

Last edited by hanky; 06-08-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:32 PM

I think the only problem is that when you try to start it up and the starter doesn't work is because the switch isn't adjusted in the right position. I love the old school cars and trucks. and the relay is mounted on inner fender well Hanky it's called the solenoid not to be a smart a@# nor any disrespect intended. If you would just adjust the safety neutral switch to the right a little bit it should be okay

Old 06-09-2013, 05:11 AM

We adjusted the saftey neutral switch so the reverse lights would come on when the shifter is in reverse. We even tried unplugging the new switch and plugging in the old switch and while I tried starting the car my husband moved the switch with his finger but no luck. The solinoid is mounted on the fender and works fine when the nss is bypassed so I think it is o.k. The nss is on the steering column and the box we hear clicking is under the dash just to the right of the coulmn. It is bolted to the dash and has a plug on it with if I remember right a black wire and a purple wire.(maybe the flasher unit??) We will check it out more today . Thank you all so much

Old 06-09-2013, 12:57 PM

Do you guys have a test lite to use?
This I what I would do.
With the test lite connected to a good ground, make sure the light works when you probe a hot wire/fuse.
The red/blue wire coming from the start terminal of the ign switch should cause the test light to come on when turned to the start position. That should be the same wire going into the neutral safety switch. With the shift lever in the park or neutral position the red/blue wire coming out of the safety switch should also cause the light to come on, that wire is going to the starter relay small terminal on the inner fender. Again with the key in the start position the test light should come on at that small terminal, does it?
If so, the relay should activate, if not there is a break in that wire.
I have no idea what could be clicking under the dash at this time, unless something addl has been installed there.

Once in a while the light comes on upstairs and the bell rings to remind me that there may be a poor connection in the multiple connector that goes through the firewall.

Last edited by hanky; 06-09-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:04 AM

Thanks, we will try that today

Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the trip down memory lane: my first car was a '67 G500 convertible, with a 289. I still love that car...

Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 AM

I can't wait to get this electrical problem solved & the safety passed to get it on the road.....
when I started looking for a car I was not sure what I wanted, but it seemed over a few weeks of looking I kept coming back to the galaxies & fairlanes so then I started narrowing the search, when I found this one I fell in love. I do have work to do but not too bad the vinyl top needs to be changed & I have work to do on the quarter panels but that is about it other than a paint job. The car is in very good shape for the year, the original owner never drove the car in the winter so when the garage put it on the hoist to do the safety they said both the frame and body were in great shape very solid.......I am so excited.....

Attached Thumbnails 67 galaxie 500 starting circuit-gal.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM

That is one nice car! And don't worry, you will get it straightened out. There's lots of good help available here. They don't make em like that anymore !!

Quick Reply: 67 galaxie 500 starting circuit