General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'80 Pinto New Carburetor Does Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 08:50 PM
Default '80 Pinto New Carburetor Does Not Start

So I picked up this 1980 Pinto a few weeks back, and it ran okay (it was smoking blue, I was planning on replacing the rings soon enough but this happened) until it stalled at a stop sign after I replaced the EGR valve, which was originally disconnected, and PCV valve, which needed to be replaced. I only got it home by pinching the fuel line, which makes me think it was flooding (and a mechanic who helped me out when I stalled out said it was most likely the carb), so I replaced the carb with a new one, as well as the ignition coil, spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor. However, now it will not start, and flames out the top of the carb which makes me reluctant to turn it over. Any ideas as to what the solution is? I feel like I've replaced just about every part that could cause it.
I have checked the compression in each cylinder and respectively from 1-4, they are 120, 95, 90, 110.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:05 AM

Carbs just don't suddenly go bad ( non dirt issues) and I doubt yours was trash. Could be a problem with your new one since the engine never ran correctly with it, timing belt jumped( your overall compression seems low to me) or your EGR valve is stuck open or something else. You need to ignore the symptoms and do some specific testing of the individual components and stop guessing. I would start with checking for a jumped timing belt on your 2.3.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:26 AM

Did you replace the plugs and wires all a once or one at a time?

Fire coming out of the carb tells us spark is getting to the cyl on the intake stroke.
My first thought is are the plug wires in the right place? Correct firing order and correct direction if dist is involved.
If it jumped time the spark should be late not early.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by hanky

Fire coming out of the carb tells us spark is getting to the cyl on the intake stroke.
My first thought is are the plug wires in the right place? Correct firing order and correct direction if dist is involved.

I replaced all the spark plugs & wires at the same time, since all the plugs were covered in oil. the wires were clearly the original ones that came with the car, and when I pulled one, it came apart. However, I've triple checked the order for the plug wires, 1-3-4-2 clockwise, but I am unsure if cylinder 1 is the cylinder closest to the front of the car, or cylinder 1 is the furthest one. Pretty sure it is just the closest one, but if I'm wrong that is clearly the problem. I plan on pulling the cover today and checking the timing, any tips on that? I do not have a timing light but I might be able to pick one up.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by raski
Carbs just don't suddenly go bad ( non dirt issues) and I doubt yours was trash. Could be a problem with your new one since the engine never ran correctly with it, timing belt jumped( your overall compression seems low to me) or your EGR valve is stuck open or something else. You need to ignore the symptoms and do some specific testing of the individual components and stop guessing. I would start with checking for a jumped timing belt on your 2.3.
Specifically he said the float was stuck and causing the carb to flood with gas. Sorry I was not specific. I'll check the timing today. I doubt the EGR is stuck open as it is new, but the vacuum lines are all over the place on this model, its crazy.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:01 AM

Did you replace plugs and wires one cylinder at a time? If you did (and that's the best way to do it) there should be no problem with crossed plug wires.BTW- Cylinder 1 is the one closest to the front, towards the radiator..

Last edited by raski; 07-02-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:18 AM

Chains and belts often jump when an engine is turned off. When that happens, it is possible for it to jump a tooth either way.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:10 AM

Can I ask,,,,,,,,If you did all the wires at the same time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,followed the correct firing order and direction do you have the #1 wire in the correct tower of the cap?

There is a little more involved here and we best start from the beginning.
If you remove the cap from the dist,,,,, then the # 1 spark plug,,(FRONT of the engine) ,,,, manually turn the engine over in the normal direction of rotation and you will feel the pressure exiting the spark plug hole (Compression stroke),, watch for the timing mark on the crank pulley to line up with the pointer. The rotor should be pointing to the #1 spark plug tower on the dist cap. Is it, yes/no ? You may have to do this a few times to get it right.

Folks that do this every day can do it the first time, others may require a 2nd or 3rd try.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:25 PM

Can I ask,,,,,,,,If you did all the wires at the same time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,followed the correct firing order and direction do you have the #1 wire in the correct tower of the cap?

If you remove the cap from the dist,,,,, then the # 1 spark plug,,(FRONT of the engine) ,,,, manually turn the engine over in the normal direction of rotation and you will feel the pressure exiting the spark plug hole (Compression stroke),, watch for the timing mark on the crank pulley to line up with the pointer. The rotor should be pointing to the #1 spark plug tower on the dist cap. Is it, yes/no ? You may have to do this a few times to get it right.

Folks that do this every day can do it the first time, others may require a 2nd or 3rd try.
I will do this as soon as I can, thanks for the tip. I understand what you're saying, make sure the compression lines up with the spark, I'll test it out. Y'all are so helpful.

Old 07-04-2021, 12:34 PM

I used this method and somehow the distributor wires were 180 degrees off. I swapped my wires and now it is running, but idling very high. I followed the diagram in my book for the wire order, but somehow it was different in my car. My guess is the timing belt is 180 degrees off, now that it’s running I plan on buying a timing light and seeing what I can do. Thanks again