General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ECU Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 07:41 PM
Default ECU Problem?

First off not sure if this should be in the model specific section or here but let me know.

Picked up a 2008 escape hybrid with a crank no start. Was hoping it was an easy fix but I should have known from the multiple title jumps. Any way, turns out it needs an ECU. Vin matches the engine which matches the ECU Vin but the ECU says it is a V6. Obviously it's not which would explain the no start but my problem I'm running into is there are several models of the 2.3L ecu. I obviously can't look at the model ECU that is currently in it as it is not designed for the engine. Any suggestions on how to find the correct model number for the ECU? Or where to get one? Only found a couple of places after a Google search and their stock was slim.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Old 03-21-2019, 04:13 AM

I hope you have plenty of hair, because you are going to be pulling some of it out .

If anyone swapped the original PCM (ECU) and did not have it programmed to that particular vehicle , it won't do anything like start etc.
The security system was not told the PCM was switched and it is doing it's job.
Now if the original PCM was reinstalled that will not work anymore because the security system sees something wrong.

The way to correct this is to either pay a capable (certified and registered) locksmith to come and program at least 2 keys and the PCM to the present vehicle Or have a dealership come and do it . Either way a few $$$$ are going to be involved. Get estimates first ! Maybe after you get this all straightened out you might share the saga of how this all started, like why the vehicle was for sale and what they didn't tell you. If I am wrong on this , it won't be the first time, but a phone call to a qualified locksmith and a dealership would be a good idea to check out.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:40 PM

Haha. I've got plenty of hair....but it's getting gray quick. Well I hope that is not the case but currently I know it needs a 2.3L ECU. I will start there then go the route of a locksmith. I really hope you are wrong about needed a locksmith because I'm trying to flip this thing!

Old 03-22-2019, 04:21 PM

Can we ask ,
why do you believe it needs an ECM ?
If we might be able to offer a suggestion or two , that might help save you some $$$ and , you never know , if you get it straightened out , you might just decide to use it a bit.
If nothing else, IF it runs OK , you could wind up getting more for it when sold, what do you think?