General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical and/or Anti-Theft Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 01:34 PM
D67
Default Electrical and/or Anti-Theft Problem

My wife's 2009 Flex is having two intermittent problems that I suspect are related. They have happened independently but also one right after the other. And they both started at the same time. 1) About once per week, the Flex will not start. Upon turning the key, the anti-theft light starts flashing rapidly and the car does not turn over. There are several methods to reset the anti-theft system in the owners manual but none seem to work. Eventually, continued attempts to start the Flex will work after about 30 minutes.

2) The other problem occurs while the Flex is being driven. All the dashboard warning lights will suddenly come on and the dashboard gauges stop working. The car continues to run. After awhile, the dash sometimes suddenly goes back to normal.

I have not been able to spot any pattern or action that causes these problems. I've had it into the dealership but they say there is nothing they can do unless they see the problems in action. Once, the second problem (dashboard lights and gauges) occurred and I got it to the dealership but, just as they hooked up the diagnostic equipment, everything went back to normal. :-(

I'm kind of stuck. The dealership wants me to leave the Flex with them but, due to the intermittent nature of the problem, they will probably have to have it for a few weeks before they can catch it in the act. My wife and I work in different communities and it'll be a challenge being without her car. But I'm not sure what else to do.

A few other pieces of information that might be helpful. This all started happening about a month ago. Just before that, I had the Flex in to the dealership to have the air conditioner replaced and to figure out why the door ajar light kept coming on even with the doors firmly closed. Cleaning the door sensors seemed to fix that but now I'm starting to wonder if that was actually the first sign of trouble. From what I read online, it sounds like this all might be electrical in nature and maybe a wire got broken or wasn't properly reattached when the AC was being replaced?

Also, we are down to one key (with the electric fob integrated into the key). The spare disappeared when we moved last spring. I'm considering ordering a new key just in case the one we have now is not transmitting properly. But that is going to be costly.

I'll be grateful for any advice you might have for me. Thanks!

Donovan

Old 08-25-2018, 04:05 PM

Please,,,,,,,,,,,,
If you think one new key is costly, it's nothing compared to if your only key gets lost or has a code problem.
Because then,,,,,,,,,,,, you will need to pay a Ford service tech or a qualified Locksmith for road service to get the info from the anti-theft system in your vehicle and code 2 new keys or it will not start .
.You must have 2 working keys !!!
With that you can program as many new keys as desired up to 8 keys.
You can't do anything with only 1 working key.
At least right now you can still drive to either the dealer or Locksmith.
Suggest you check what the charges would be from both. If you would care to let us know what you decided, Thanks

Old 08-25-2018, 04:13 PM
D67

Thanks, hanky. We got it started this afternoon (it wouldn't start this morning) and drove it to the dealership. We'll leave it there for them to check periodically; hopefully they can catch it malfunctioning in the next week or so and get a better idea of what's happening. I did go ahead and ordered the second key.