General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine key hard to turn !

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 08:31 AM
Default Engine key hard to turn !

Hi , i just bought a 2010 ford crown Vic police interceptor from a police auction , Problem is key switch to engine became hard to turn , Feels like it has some sticky stuff sprayed in it , I'm thinking one of the mechanics sprayed some kind of oil in it and its gumming up , So my question is how do i fix this , I can replace switch no problem , Wanted to get some opinions first , Thanks

Old 05-31-2022, 10:02 AM

Because there is a security concern involved with changing either the key or the tumbler section, you would be best off to have it done by a locksmith or a dealership or a shop that has the ability to do reprogramming.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:02 PM

Many times it's not the actual tumbler but farther in towards the connecting gear to actuate the ignition switch. At one time there was a bulletin issued because the grease in the column dried up and stiffened. I have fixed mine by spraying some silicone lubricant into the key slot and worked it. Push the can's straw into the key slot as far as it will go.Sometimes the spray lube worked its way down and loosened up the dried up grease and freed up the mechanism..

Old 06-14-2022, 12:36 PM

Without knowing more details, the problem could be solved simply by spraying some lubricant into the key slot and seeing what that does. But everyone else is right, it could be something to do with the ignition switch. I'm not an expert in this field but I'm always trying to learn more and my sister actually had this same problem a few years back. She didn't want to go through the headache of trying to repair it herself, so she went ahead and called a locksmith. If my memory serves me right, it was a company called United Locksmith. She chose them because they were one of the few locksmiths who could perform what's called an ignition cylinder replacement. Her problem went beyond the key being stuck as there were more severe problems inside the ignition cylinder. I hope this helps in some way! If you're someone who can replace the switch yourself, then I'd say go ahead and do it! You'll end up saving money in the long run. Let us know how it turned out!