General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hazard lights won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Default Hazard lights won't shut off

I have a problem with my 2003 Ford Windstar SEL. Yesterday I tried starting it at about -25 degrees celsius, and it was too cold to turn over. Right away the hazard lights started flashing and it would not shut off with the hazard light switch. I've even had the dash all tore apart and the combination switch completely out and the hazard lights stay on. The only way they will stop is with the instrument cluster unhooked. What I'm wondering is, are there any external sensors or modules that turn on the hazard lights besides the switch on the steering column? Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.[/align]

Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 PM

Did you ever get a reply back on this question ??? My windstar is doing the same thing....

Old 05-15-2016, 07:19 PM
Default hazard lights

I have a 2012 Ford explorer.
Hazard lights won't shut off.
Any suggestions?

Old 08-15-2020, 11:48 AM
Smile hazard lights wont turn off

Originally Posted by mmcgaw
I have a problem with my 2003 Ford Windstar SEL. Yesterday I tried starting it at about -25 degrees celsius, and it was too cold to turn over. Right away the hazard lights started flashing and it would not shut off with the hazard light switch. I've even had the dash all tore apart and the combination switch completely out and the hazard lights stay on. The only way they will stop is with the instrument cluster unhooked. What I'm wondering is, are there any external sensors or modules that turn on the hazard lights besides the switch on the steering column? Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.[/align]

After messing with all the fuses with no success, I opened the front center console where the touch screen and hazard button are located, pulled out the plug, used a staple to touch/connect the 1st pin to the 3rd pin on that plug and the hazard lights turned off.

Sometimes when the hazard light connection is lost, the hazard lights wont turn off.

This was on a 2012 ford explorer ltd with touch buttons

Old 09-07-2020, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by silvaeford
After messing with all the fuses with no success, I opened the front center console where the touch screen and hazard button are located, pulled out the plug, used a staple to touch/connect the 1st pin to the 3rd pin on that plug and the hazard lights turned off.

Sometimes when the hazard light connection is lost, the hazard lights wont turn off.

photo?

Old 09-07-2020, 04:33 PM
Default Please help

Originally Posted by silvaeford

im having a hard time finding what plug you would jump the pins. Please provide a helpful description of the location of this plug.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:53 AM

Here is the connector for the front display, pin four sends to signal to the BCM to turn on the hazard lights, I believe this switch is grounded when it is pushed but I cannot guarantee that.
What I assume the person above is talking about jumping pins he is saying he jumped pins 4(hazard) to pin 6(ground).
You could simply unplug this connector and see if your hazard lights turn off if not, you could jump the pins to imitate the hazard switch being pressed.

Connector

To remove the front display you pull off the two trim pieces highlighted in yellow, then remove the four screws holding the display in place.