General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need some help bad!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Default need some help bad!

hey folks i need some serious help with a problem on my sons car. My son has a 98 ford contour se and when your driving it down the road and hit the brake the caliper is forced into the wheel and it makes an awful noise. I have been working on this problem for a couple of weeks now and frankly I dont know what to do next. I have put a brand new caliper with pins and bushings, rotor was turned, new brake hose, new pads, it still does it. I jacked the vehicle up put it on stands and had my wife start it put it in drive while i was underneath it wathing and every time she let off the gas and put on the brake the caliper would give a little making it rub against the inside of the wheel. I even put the tire that was on back on front and it still does it. I reconfirmed that they sold me the right caliper and they did. any help I sure would be grateful thanks.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:17 AM

Let's see if we can visualize what's happening here.
Normally the caliper is pretty close to the wheel, normally.
If everything you have done was done correctly, the only thing I can picture is the rotor may have been cut too much and could be allowing the caliper to shift too far out toward the wheel. If, however, the problem existed before you did all the brake work then something else could be causing the problem.
Did you have the noise problem before doing all the work?

Old 08-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Default brake problem

when we first got the car when you were driving it and went to mash the brake pedal it would vibrate real bad it would stop just shake while it did. I had the rotors turned figuring this was the problem it quit the vibrating when you applied the brakes now the caliper hits the inside of the wheel. i put a brand new rotor on today havn't had a chance to try it out but I will let you know. i dont know anything else to do.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:58 PM

I think I'd look for some bent suspension parts. Has the car been in an accident?