General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

no one can answer this? 98 windstar 3.8 cam synchro stuck

Old 06-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Default no one can answer this? 98 windstar 3.8 cam synchro stuck

98 windstar. The synchronizer hits the fuel rail upon removal. So it won't pull out. No other model on a taurus or anything has this problem ive been googling all day. Do i have to pull the intake off and the fuel rail to get this thing out? there must be a better way

Seems like its only a 98 windstar 3.8 thing.

Question has been asked before all over and never answered.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 PM

You know, I asked that very, very same identical question of an engineer about 10 years ago, and I was told not to bother an engineer (they're SO important and can't be bothered with us "little people".) The short answer is that, yes, it IS only a Windstar thing. If you're feeling daring, you could try to force the fuel rail out of the way with a prybar, but that is never recommended since if you spring a leak with gas, it has the ability to burn the car down faster then you can get out of it. You decide. And the Taurus never had that problem because the 3.8L was discontinued (THANK GOD!) in 1996 in the Tortise. That makes it about a year or two BEFORE the cam synchro came into use.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by greasemark
You know, I asked that very, very same identical question of an engineer about 10 years ago, and I was told not to bother an engineer (they're SO important and can't be bothered with us "little people".) The short answer is that, yes, it IS only a Windstar thing. If you're feeling daring, you could try to force the fuel rail out of the way with a prybar, but that is never recommended since if you spring a leak with gas, it has the ability to burn the car down faster then you can get out of it. You decide. And the Taurus never had that problem because the 3.8L was discontinued (THANK GOD!) in 1996 in the Tortise. That makes it about a year or two BEFORE the cam synchro came into use.
what a design lol. So I pulled my intake off and there is oil on and all over the underside of the intake. I know oil in intake passages is ok, however this was all around the underside of the intake. was the gaskets leaking?

I did have an intake air control motor code now that I remember.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 AM

The 98 windstar successes the fuel rail up on removal and the other models on a Ford Taurus or anything has this problem have been staring all the day. So I pulled intake of oil and all over bottom of the intake.