Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Camshaft synchro issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Default Camshaft synchro issue

I recently got my 98 deathstar for hauling kids around (coach) and within a week it was throwing the p3157 and p0340 codes. After taking off the CPS, I saw the synchro vane was sheared off completely. I went promptly over to Oreilleys and picked up a new one for $70 complete and went into the hassle of switching them out. I am not a mechanic but I love making a mess. So PLEASE use terms I can understand in your replies, and use pictures if you can.
I marked the location of the old sensor, located TDC as well as possible using my ten year old and a screwdriver in the #1 cylinder and removed the old unit which came out with the oil pump shaft thing. I unwrapped the new one, basted it in lube and swapped over the oil pump shaft and put it in the hole. It won't go in. Lined up to the old marks, angled evenly, goes all the way down to within a half inch of seating and then it gets stuck to the point of bloody fingers upon extraction. What am I doing wrong? I watched a video on youtube and the mechanic skipped that part completely (suddenly it was in).
If there is a trick, I would love to know it. No amount of turning, spinning of oil shaft, use of alignment tool or anything else seems to work and paying a mechanic is beyond my minimum wage ability.
Thanks in advance.
Deathstar98