General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Potential Security Issue with IA Key System?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Default Potential Security Issue with IA Key System?

I recently purchased a 2012 Focus Titanium, and love almost everything about it. Granted, there are some issues with the MFT system, but I can live with that.

My main concern is with the IA Key/push button start feature. I have a question about a possible scenario where it may be detrimental to have it. Let's say I'm driving in a bad part of town and my doors are locked (which they do automatically when I put the car in gear). I'm waiting at a red light and a questionable person walks up to the car. Since my IA key is on my person, does that mean this person can merely put his hand behind a door handle and the lock will pop? If this is the case, I see it as a glaring oversight on Ford's part. I see no way of overriding the auto-unlock feature.

If this is automatically disabled when the car is in drive, what happens if you're just getting into your car and are being followed. You can lock the doors, but the person following you will pop the door lock as soon as he reaches for the handle.

Does anyone have documented information that will set my mind at ease?

Thanks In Advance,
Gary