New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

2004 F350 XL crew power door lock problem

Old 09-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Default 2004 F350 XL crew power door lock problem

I have a V-10 gas engine. My truck is a basic machine, a crewcab 4x4. I seldom drive it. The door locks are basic with a plain door pad with no control buttons. You push the top door lock/unlock button on either front door to lock all 4 doors and pull either front door lever to unlock all 4 doors. No keyless entry.What happens is none of the door locks stay locked any more than 20 seconds maximum when driving, or sitting still, with the ignition key in or out.. Every 20 seconds all 4 doors will make a clicking sound and it sounds like they were energized, but they neither lock or unlock when this happens. Pulling fuse # 102 in the fuse panel below the steering wheel inside the cab,makes no difference. I cant find a battery junction box fuse to pull out, or the door relay to pull, to kill all power. It appears Ford has eliminated the Battery Junction Box on this 2004 model.I have to remove the battery cable. then lock the doors manually, to secure the vehicle.. I dont see a VSM inside the dash. Where is a fuse or relay that will kill this entire power lock circuit. If I can find the Max type fuse supplying this entire door lock circuit or the door relay(s), I can stop this circuit from draining my battery. . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-09-2017, 06:40 AM

How about we start here,
At any time was water, rain, allowed to get into the door lock switch assy on the driver's side ? Sometimes just a little moisture is enough to send a request to a module to do something and yet not strong enough to make a definite request and the module doesn't know what to do. Have you been able to check this switch assy out?

Old 09-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

W/O Remote Keyless Entry, the only power in to the Master/Passenger switch panels (shares a splice on the RD/BK switch circuit) is through fuse 102,, other than the panel/switch 'illumination' feed into the switch which would be a non issue. Trucks with a VSM,, were mounted centered/just to the right of the dash, behind audio unit..

There isn't a VSM Module control for non RKE, or relays in the standard lock system. Fuse 102 is a 'Hot at All Times' so removing it should have deactivated the locks unless there is a power short of some sort into the lock circuit. And if that were the case, it would need to be a short 'and' a switch making an intermittent contact.

By removing the fuse, it should have also removed any possible switch short causing the locks to flicker or trigger.

With RKE would widen the possibilities,, but what you might try is,, pull the switch trim covers up (front/forward clip first) and disconnect the lock switches. If you have a 12v test light (?) connect it to the RD/BK pin connection on either R/L switch connector and see if driving the truck causes the test lamp to glow of flicker..

Side Note,,
On RKE systems to help ID other than the key pad ),, the Master/Passenger switches input power distribution is a BK/WH wire replacing the BK/RD for non RKE builds.. SD's prior to 12/03 would/should have had peel'n stick key pads.

Last edited by Hayapower; 09-09-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:11 PM
Default Thanks for your info / 2004 F350 XL crew door lock problem

I appreciate the info provided by HAYAPOWER and hanky on solving my door lock issue. I will be going into the drivers door (first) tomorrow looking for a short or moisture and looking for other irregularities like wires touching or corrosion, and testing for continuity between connections with an ohm meter.
If I cant find an obvious problem, I will go to the passenger side front door as well, and do the same checks. Perhaps I can disable the power door locks completely if I cant find any irregularity. I will let you know what I find. Thank you for your assistance.......