New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Brake caliper issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Default Brake caliper issue

Hey there, I’ve got a 2003 Excursion limited 4x4 with the 6.8L V10 under the hood. I’ve been having this issue with my rear driver side caliper blowing the seal. This has happened to three different calipers that I’ve installed myself. The first one I thought it was just the fact that the caliper was probably the original one, so age. Then I bought the high performance caliper package from power stop, and again the same one blow out. At this point I thought I might not have installed it incorrectly. So I had a buddy that went to a vocational school for auto mechanic install the new one that was sent to replace the one from power stop. That one blow also and now I have another caliper on and I get the feeling it’s going to blow.
To give a little more information about the brake system other then the fact that the one caliper keeps blowing. About three weeks after I bought this excursion the brake line under the body blow out and the ford dealership replaced it free of charge. Ever since they replaced the brake line, I’ve had the smell of burning brakes when I drive a fair distance. This fair distance is only about 10-14 miles.
The excursion has a lift and over size tire, 5”-6” life and 35x12.5x20 tires. I plan on getting rotors that release the heat better and more evenly. But it seems like the pressure is building in that rear caliper and not releasing it. I’ve talked to a mechanic and he told me that’s not how brake systems work so that can’t be the case. He even said that I installed the caliper right and bleed it right, but had to reset the ABS system. It still smells like burning brakes! Thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Old 02-25-2019, 05:33 PM

Sometimes questions cause some answers , we'll see.
Did anyone check the brake hose to that particular caliper? Sometimes a flap develops and can act as a one way check valve.
Do you use the parking brake frequently enough so the parking brake cable for that wheel might not be fully releasing causing drag there and building up excessive heat?
Did anybody check the brake line to that caliper to verify it is not pinched ,,someplace between the master cyl, ABS module or caliper hose?
Not knowing just which line Ford replaced, I would look it over very carefully for any kinks or crushed parts.

I ran out of questions for now, but how about you check the above items and let us know if they were any help?

Old 02-25-2019, 06:00 PM

The brake hose could be the issue as I’ve had some one else mention the same thing. On the invoice from the ford deal it stated that they replaced the brake line all the way back to the axel and then to both sides and the hoses were replaced. But just because it says it on the invoice doesn’t mean that they actually did the work and installed the new hoses.

As for the parking brake, that could be an issue also. I had the cable brake and ordered the replacement part, just haven’t installed it yet.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:24 PM

You can usually tell if the hoses are fairly new,and we would like ti feel they had no reason to want to cheat you.
If the problem appeared after the line was replaced,there is always the possibility of a problem with the line itself and all that should be confirmed to eliminate the possibilities one at a time. If you trace the line from the caliper on back to where it originates after a brake application if you just crack open / loosen the fitting slightly there should be no pressure in the line. Just don't open it too much so air can get into it. Do the same thing where the hose for that caliper connects to the line Then go to the caliper itself , if there is any pressure you will see the fluid really push out.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:41 PM

I’ll check that out and get back. Because I do know that the dealer used three 3’ sections of brake line to replace the broken section of line. It also looked like they hand bent the middle section, so I’ll check those bends a little closer.

I figured it had to be something near the caliper seeing how the passenger side caliper hasn’t blown out.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:58 AM

Well it’s been awhile but I’ve checked the brake line the dealer replaced and there’s no leaks. I also had it into a mechanic and he said everything looked fine, the abs just needed reset. Unfortunately I do believe my third caliper has now blown a seal.