New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Messed up big time

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 07:03 AM

Did you look inside the dist cap for anything unusual?

If nothing is found , Suggest you check the throttle linkage for hanging up.
Something is preventing the engine from shutting down as it normally would.
Were you able to get the correct timing set?
If the dist was installed one tooth off or more . that could be part of the problem.

What procedure did you use to install the replacement dist?

Old 09-16-2023, 08:27 AM

I think i figured it out. For some reason putting the spring between the plug and the #1 on the dizzy created a short in the starter solenoid. I was mistaken and the starter was trying to turn over the engine. When inspecting the solenoid it was too hot to touch. When I tried to remove the nuts on the posts, both posts broke off the solenoid housing. Thanks for trying to help me out. Much appreciated.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:17 AM

Thank you for the update.

There is no way you could have caused the problem with the starter relay or solenoid just by trying to hook up a timing light EXCEPT if when attempting to connect the light to a source of power for the positive lead, something was moved.
It was never mentioned the starter motor was operating or we might have been able to pick this up sooner. That is why it is so important to describe every detail because if we were there we would have heard the starter operating.
This is not the end of all this, however, because something caused the solenoid/relay to remain activated and until the cause is found it can produce a repeat performance. This should not be difficult to find, but you will need a test light or voltmeter to be able to tell if and when that part is getting energized.

Don't know if you found the cause, but rest assured it will repeat unless you find and correct the cause. If you need some suggestions and guidance we should be able to offer some assistance to get this done. Thanks for getting back to us.