New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Rusting Inside - Ford Flex

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 01:31 PM
Angry Rusting Inside - Ford Flex

I have a 2015 Ford Flex that I have bought at the end of the year in 2015, paid over $50,000 for it and within the first year the seat brackets and rails started to rust, so did the tie down area in the back. I have had it to the Ford dealer in town 4 times. The first couple times I was told that they will just watch it since I was covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I took it back again just recently as I now have just over 34,000 miles on it and the response from Ford is that they will not pay for the repair due to surface rust on bare metal brackets. I called the Ford customer service center and response is that it isn't covered with no specific reason as to why and the person I talked to said that there isn't anyone else I can talk to above him.

I have a few concerns with this as I don't understand why there are bare metal brackets inside a vehicle that costs that much and why rust inside a vehicle is considered ok by Ford. Hearing that humidity is playing a part in this issue is not a good answer, in over 40 years of owning and driving vehicles I have never had a car that has seat brackets and rails rusting. Another concern I have is SAFETY. If I keep this vehicle for several years I worry that there will be a rust through issue and that the brackets meant to keep the seats bolted to the vehicle will not hold. I see the potential for the seat to come undone in an accident and potentially causing me severe bodily harm. I need someone to explain why it is acceptable to have rust inside my vehicle.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:00 AM

I don't know if any worthwhile answer can be offered at this time, but if you would care to provide some info maybe we can reduce some of your concerns.

About where in the country do you reside , Snow belt ,salt belt etc?
Many times we get into a vehicle with moisture on shoes/boots and don't feel it is contributing to problems.
I have not seen "any" vehicles with other than stamped unpainted steel rails for seat rails.
Some manufacturers will paint the seat holdowns black , but not all.
If you were able to get under the vehicle , some have mountings reinforced so they will outlast the vehicle and are not really any concern.
If it is only surface rust usually the rust dusting is more resistant to further rusting (oxidation) than clean steel.
Some manufacturers will actually order the pieces to come in already painted, but now that is an addl step and costs goes up and if only a very small percentage notice the rust issue the co has amassed a cost saving.
Have you considered trying a different dealership to see if they will reduce your concerns?