Ford Galaxy diesel start up problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 AM
Default Ford Galaxy diesel start up problems

Hello

This is a video clip of my Ford Galaxy TDI that has problems starting.
Can anyone give me some idea to what is wrong? It has been to two different Ford Auto Repair Shops, without any luck, they cannot tell us, what is the problem!

Please help :-)

Thanks,
Fadia

Old 07-24-2012, 02:48 PM

Diesels generally require two things to run, fuel and air.
Since once started it appears to run fine, I would suspect a problem related to the fuel system.
There may be a fuel solenoid that is not always working. I noticed when you turned the key off and then on to the start position it stated up with no problem.
The ignition switch or the fuel shut off portion most likely has a problem.
Poor electrical connections can give all kinds of problems. Those two areas would be my first things to check.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM

just got few questions here can anyone share their thoughts of what is an ignition switch function? im thinkin it might also the cause of my starter problems, haven't tried to fix it coz im still looking for actions to do... maybe i'll check for free shipping online car parts to lessen of repair expenses.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:42 PM

does the pre-start glow plug system indicator light turn on with the key? (before starting)… if yes --- go to the next step..
check with a test light, connect the test light to one of the connections to a glow plug. to verify 12 volts to the glow plug for at least 3 seconds. if you have power to the glow plugs and you can feel the plug getting hot after using them.. turn the key on until the pre-start light goes out, 3-4 times and with the key off. feel for the glow plug being warm near the head.. if they are getting warm. go one to the next step..
if not. remove a glow plug.. and check it with a volt ohm meter to see if it has burned out.. no current flow in from the connector to the side of the plug on the threads. you have a bad glow plug.. if you have a good plug, put it back and torque it down..and connect the wire..
next you need to check for fuel.. loosen one fuel injector line (don't remove it). while cranking the engine. watch for fuel leaking from the fitting. if no fuel leaks - then the injection pump is not supplying fuel or it may not be receiving fuel. ***re-tighten the fuel line*** (check for leaks after the engine is running)
the fuel shutoff valve may not be opening..
check the fuel shut off solenoid with a test light or volt meter. (with the key in the run position)… remove the connector and check it for power 12 volts or for the test light to glow.
if you see 12 volts….. plug in the connector, you should hear a click. if not, the solenoid/valve may not be opening… disconnect the wire from the valve.. and check the valve for an open circuit. use a known source of power connected to your test light. and touch the probe to the connector on the valve. the light should illuminate. if not the valve solenoid is most likely the problem..
if all of your checks are good.. turn off the key and disconnect the fuel line to the injection pump… insert the fuel line into a container. and turn on the key to check the fuel pump. (if the vehicle has a electric fuel pump) some older vehicles have the fuel pump in the injection pump.. in this situation when you turn on the key and crank the engine (some systems require oil pressure before turning on the fuel pump).. watch for fuel being pumped into your container…
if you get fuel, your electric pump is o.k. if not, you need to make sure the oil pressure sensor if equipped is working (similar check as with the fuel shutoff valve/solenoid)
at this point if you haven't found a bad solenoid or electric fuel pump/wiring problem. the mechanical fuel pump inside the injection pump may be the problem…
a temporary fix is to hook up a electric pump between the fuel line from the tank and filter and the injection pump/fuel pump assembly.. this will force fuel through the mechanical pump. wire it up with the ignition switch. (using the fuse block)…
if the engine runs. the problem is the mechanical pump inside the injection pump.
****do not leave the electric fuel pump connected for any than testing purposes..****
the injection pump/fuel pump assembly most likely needs rebuilt/replaced… $600-1700… depending on the engine your vehicle has in it and your source of the replacement..

Last edited by tempforce; 09-27-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Default RE:Ford Galaxy diesel start up problems

Hay guys. there was same starting problem with my diesel car. You can't believe that i visited at least 5 auto repair shop but no one able to solved my car problem. Then some one told me about Jay's Auto Service.you will not believe that they fix my problem in their first attempt .It was just like a miracle.Jay's Auto Service offer a wide range of auto repair services including Tires change,breaks repair,shocks ,alignment,suspension,ac service etc.