Transmission All geared up? Talk trans here. The good, the bad and the ugly.

C3 1964 Mercury 390 FE

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:25 PM

We're probably talking about the same thing.
If there is no linkage from the carb to the trans , how is yours set up?

I just looked at your video and you placed your finger on the post on the carb lever. That post usually was connected to the kickdown link on the trans. If you look on the side of the trans there should be a lever with a rod or sort of flat link that gets connected to the carb throttle lever. That lever on the trans controls the downshift action and if not positioned prevents the trans from shifting out of 2nd gear. You can figure out which way the lever on the trans has to go because it when connected properly goes to the rear from what I can tell by looking at the throttle lever.If it is all the way to the rear, move it forward and temporarily secure it there. Now drive the vehicle and see if it goes into 3rd.

Last edited by hanky; 07-15-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by hanky
We're probably talking about the same thing.
If there is no linkage from the carb to the trans , how is yours set up?

I just looked at your video and you placed your finger on the post on the carb lever. That post usually was connected to the kickdown link on the trans. If you look on the side of the trans there should be a lever with a rod or sort of flat link that gets connected to the carb throttle lever. That lever on the trans controls the downshift action and if not positioned prevents the trans from shifting out of 2nd gear. You can figure out which way the lever on the trans has to go because it when connected properly goes to the rear from what I can tell by looking at the throttle lever.If it is all the way to the rear, move it forward and temporarily secure it there. Now drive the vehicle and see if it goes into 3rd.
Hey, Thanks for the info and a bit of Hope. My car fiddling days are over for the rest of the week maybe two. Work's got me strapped down which is good considering How much it Costs Restoring this thing. It's going in another shop Monday. I hope they get it right.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Default Boss Hogg

Is there a core charge on a boss hogg torque convereter? The mechanic said ha can't give me my old one and there is no paper work (evidence) on the new one that he says he put in. Nothing, no box receipt, tag, FedEx, Nothing but his word.