Transmission All geared up? Talk trans here. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Ford Fusion 2017 2.0 Ecoboost Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 02:55 PM
Unhappy Ford Fusion 2017 2.0 Ecoboost Turbo

I am having transmission issues with my car and no one seems to know what the problem is and in the Dealer as expected their solution is to change the whole Transmission at a 7,500usd cost which is ridiculous (in my mind) Here is the short story but will gladly share more info if needed.

The transmission is not the smoothest as it 'bumps' on 2nd to 3rd if high revs but it works perfectly when it engages so the transmission itself is not to blame. Ok to the meat of the problem,

The issue is when turnin the **** to Drive a message flashes, SYS TRANS FAILURE, Service Required. The D light in the **** flashes but does not return to P. On the motor, there is an actuator that moves a lever which 'bumps' the motor and returns to its initial state and that is when the **** starts flashing. The car willl technically be in neutral since you can push it so it disengages the transmission. Once in this state the car will not move on power. If the stars align and you move the **** to Reverse it sometimes engages and you can move backwards but it can also start flashing and will do nothing.
MORE INFO:
*The first time this happened I was at a Gas station and they suggested the Transmission fluid was low so I put in some liquid and that fixed it for a while then it happened again so again I put in some more fluid and agai it worked and that is when I took it to the dealership, they confirmed that the fluid was overfilled.
*The paddle shifts can downshift but not upshift.
*If you let the car cool down after the failure most of the time it engages the next time you try it (about a 20 min cooldown)
*The error message of the computer is misalignment of the Gear Selector cable.
*Once it wouldn't start because the car was not in Park (even though it was) but that was an isolated incident.
*The transmission was fully servced about a year ago.

Anyone has a clue what could be at fault? TCM? The actuator? Please any insights will be much appreciated.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:20 PM

When we say the car cools down, could this be a reset taking place because the key is turned off and the reset takes place?

What happens if the problem appears and you just turn the key off and restart it, does it go back to normal or do you still have to wait for it to cool off?

Were you able to obtain any codes?
Attempting to obtain as much info as possible, before coming to any conclusion. Please bear with us., thanks.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:30 PM

Thanks you. All the information you need:

If the message flashes there is an orange wrench icon that will appear on the screen and will not go away until you turn off the car. If you immediately turn it on again the wrench will not be there but if you try to engage drive it will reappear. I have put in a scanner and erased the codes that appear while the car is on, but if I try to re-engage drive the error reappears. So in short even if you clear all Codes if you place turn the **** to Drive it will start blinking and will not engage (As a note, once the error message displays the Shift Cable will not move unless you move the **** to Park or Reverse) By cooldown I mean that the car rests for a while and then sometimes it will work. That coupled with the fact that when you put in transmission fluid it seems to help I am starting to believe it has to do with the actual temperature of the transmission.

The error that the scanners throws is P175B:00-6C - Transmission Range Control Module Shift Cable Disconnected/Misadjusted (Note the cable is fully latched and is not misalagned)
Ocasionaly I've recieved the error P177A:00-28 Transmission Range Select Motor