a problem with the gauges bouncing around - Page 3 - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Old 09-28-2017, 02:49 PM

Steve, I have a 03 Windstar and I have over 692,000 miles on it. The instrument cluster gauges jumping around is a problem with these cars. It is repairable. We repaired my cluster and did same for two other customers of our shop. The cluster can be removed with screws just about the steering column. There are videos of this problem and the fix, on youtube. The main problem when you remove the cluster will be the big, thick cable that connects the two circuit boards inside. If you seperate those boards, and then re-solder the connectors points on one or both, you should correct the problem. It is a loss of the ground connection. Be careful not to push on or break the speedo or RPM needles. We did ours in under an hour, simple. Hope this helps. Dan.....
Old 09-28-2017, 02:52 PM

Steve, I just joined this forum so if I am late to advise, sorry. Yes, you can swap out the boards, IF.... they are the same boards. It would be better if you can repair the board you have. If you turn that board over, you should be able to trace the track (foil?) to another close by solder point. Just a short thin INSULATED wire jumper would do it. Good luck. Dan......
Old 09-28-2017, 03:00 PM

Ignition coil should be on firewall, just in front of the glovebox. It is a square box item with all plug wires coming into it. Mine got wet from water down the windshield and shorted out so I had to replace it. Made a world of difference. Dan.....
Old 09-28-2017, 03:56 PM

Default a problem with the gauges bouncing around

The Windstar is back at Big Toe in there junk yard. Even Big Toe's mechanic couldn't fix the Windstar. It is a design flaw in the instrument cluster. The passive anti-theft system thinks that the vehicle is been swiped when I installed the power to my Amateur Radio 2 way radios and the anti-theft sys killed the power to start the motor. I traided the Windstar in for a 2008 Pontiac Torrent all wheel drive SUV. It drives like a dream. And with the air conditioning on full blast in the summer it was like driving inside a rolling refigerator. hehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialdude View Post
Steve, I just joined this forum so if I am late to advise, sorry. Yes, you can swap out the boards, IF.... they are the same boards. It would be better if you can repair the board you have. If you turn that board over, you should be able to trace the track (foil?) to another close by solder point. Just a short thin INSULATED wire jumper would do it. Good luck. Dan......
Old 11-21-2017, 08:53 AM

very common on these cluster to do this, really you just gotta send them out to be repaired. check out these companies. southernelectronics.com or myairbag.com