Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Rust Recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Default Rust Recall

I'm curious to hear if anyone has experience with recall 14S02 dealing with rust and corrosion of the sub-frame of 01-04 Escapes.

I am the second owner of an 01 Escape and was unaware of this recall. Last week my vehicle experienced a sudden loss of steering control. I had it towed to a local independent shop, who told me the control arm had separated due to rust and corrosion that actually resulted in the sub-frame snapping in two. From a Google search of "Escape sub-frame rust" I learned of this recall.

The vehicle has now been transported to a Ford dealer for "evaluation" (their word, not mine). The recall solution was to attach a brace; which obviously isn't the answer in my case given that the sub-frame has already failed. I'm not sure what to expect from Ford. Is there anyone else that has dealt with this issue?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Default Failed recall repair

Yes there is a recall for 2001-2004 Escapes in "snow belt" states. There is a problem with the front sub-frame rusting out and the steering failing.

The purpose of the recall is to install a brace on the tie rod connection so that if and when the frame fails, there might be a limit to the amount of steering problem that results to lessen the risk of severe damage and injury (read Ford's liability). I was told that it is not the intent of this recall to prevent the frame from failing or to repair the frame.

People have had the recall work done and then subsequently had the frame fail and have steering problems. This happened to me, fortunately I was only going 5 mph. Others have had this failure and crossed the highway median to then roll over into oncoming traffic, some have had an unanticipated left turn across 2 lanes of traffic and others have run off the road into fences and buildings.

You can read more about this on the National Highway Traffic Safety Board website under "recalls". You can even download the technical instructions for doing the recall brace that is provide by Ford to the Dealerships. It describes how big the holes are allowed to be and still just do the brace.

Ford does not see this as a bad product issue. They do not intend to replace these frames. The dealer wants $2000 from me to fix the frame.

Please file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Board expecting Ford to issue a new recall requiring them to replace the sub-frame and repair any damages from a bad frame.

Also tell anybody you know who has had the recall work done that their car is not now SAFE. The frame can still fail and they can still have steering problems that have already led to accidents.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:41 AM
Default Rust right side frame 2011 escape.

Originally Posted by saintk
Yes there is a recall for 2001-2004 Escapes in "snow belt" states. There is a problem with the front sub-frame rusting out and the steering failing.

The purpose of the recall is to install a brace on the tie rod connection so that if and when the frame fails, there might be a limit to the amount of steering problem that results to lessen the risk of severe damage and injury (read Ford's liability). I was told that it is not the intent of this recall to prevent the frame from failing or to repair the frame.

People have had the recall work done and then subsequently had the frame fail and have steering problems. This happened to me, fortunately I was only going 5 mph. Others have had this failure and crossed the highway median to then roll over into oncoming traffic, some have had an unanticipated left turn across 2 lanes of traffic and others have run off the road into fences and buildings.

You can read more about this on the National Highway Traffic Safety Board website under "recalls". You can even download the technical instructions for doing the recall brace that is provide by Ford to the Dealerships. It describes how big the holes are allowed to be and still just do the brace.

Ford does not see this as a bad product issue. They do not intend to replace these frames. The dealer wants $2000 from me to fix the frame.

Please file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Board expecting Ford to issue a new recall requiring them to replace the sub-frame and repair any damages from a bad frame.

Also tell anybody you know who has had the recall work done that their car is not now SAFE. The frame can still fail and they can still have steering problems that have already led to accidents.
I have a 2011 Ford Escape with the same problem and I still owe on my vehicle. 10 years old and I’m told that it’s not drivable. I have no other vehicle. And no money in which to purchase another vehicle. No one wants to address this issue because there is not an active recall. So thank you for the information you have provided in your thread. I will be filing a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Board. Ty again.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:46 PM

Anyone who operates their vehicle on (sodium chloride) salted roads in the winter and some use calcium chloride on dirt roads in the summer for dust control should have their vehicle inspected fairly often. Some state inspection facilities will not pass a vehicle with severe rust damage to components under the vehicle and now they must get another vehicle. Most folks are not aware of this type problem and should have their vehicles checked more often as a safety check.
Some places also provide a service to wash that salt off before it can do extensive damage. Worth looking into.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Anyone who operates their vehicle on (sodium chloride) salted roads in the winter and some use calcium chloride on dirt roads in the summer for dust control should have their vehicle inspected fairly often. Some state inspection facilities will not pass a vehicle with severe rust damage to components under the vehicle and now they must get another vehicle. Most folks are not aware of this type problem and should have their vehicles checked more often as a safety check.
Some places also provide a service to wash that salt off before it can do extensive damage. Worth looking into.
That service can be accomplished in the driveway with a garden hose but some common sense and initiative needs to be in place. I have been hosing the undercarriage and washing my vehicles in the driveway for decades and I am located where salt use is common.. Even during winter, I do this on a regular basis.Those vehicles are 87's and those were not made with any treated steel like newer vehicles. Don't have a place to do it, there are plenty self wash facilities to accomplish it. It's hard to even find anyone nowadays who even has done or washes their vehicles themselves anymore on a regular basis..

Last edited by raski; 01-01-2022 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-20-2023, 12:13 PM
Default Feeling your concerns

Originally Posted by cjr2011
I have a 2011 Ford Escape with the same problem and I still owe on my vehicle. 10 years old and I’m told that it’s not drivable. I have no other vehicle. And no money in which to purchase another vehicle. No one wants to address this issue because there is not an active recall. So thank you for the information you have provided in your thread. I will be filing a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Board. Ty again.
I have a 2001 Ford E150 Club Wagon. The frame rusted out in the exact same spot as yours. I investigated it more and the rust continues towards the back on the inner side where the engine mount cross brase is welded. It is a true can of worms. My question is how can they not recall this? It rusted from the inside out. They can't call this is a maintenance or negligence issue because I never heard of washing the inside of a chassis before. This van is still in beautiful condition and it's pretty much scrape metal now. I would be interested in taking any steps necessary to write to N.H.T.S.B. and or Ford motor co. This is a serious and critical spot to be rusting so aggressively. There is no protection from the tire well from keeping salt, dirt and water from splashing in the many holes that were stamped in when the frame was designed. It's almost planned obsolescence to me. This is not the first time I've seen this on these vans and now I seen your post and it's the same problem. It's a very popular problem that could kill someone without warning. I'm so bent out of shape to loose this van. Nobody wants to work on it due to liability.

Old 05-20-2023, 01:50 PM

I do not own this vehicle but I am having the same problem with a 2001 Ford E150. I was advised by another member to file a complaint with the NHTSA. My complaint states that my chassis or frame has corroded from the inside out. Ford could have simply protected this very important area by adding a wheel well to divert water, salt, dirt and debris from entering the holes in this solid 4 sided frame. There is no way to maintain, clean, treat or inspect the inside of your frame without using a medical endoscopy camera. To me this is a HUGE issue. you could seriously get injured or killed if this frame breaks loose. My van only has 126000 miles on it and its scrap metal at this point. Please send that letter and ask others that are having this issue to do too.

Old 05-20-2023, 01:54 PM

Thank you for this information. It was very well said. I filed my complaint today and I hope others are able to read this and do the same.

Old 05-21-2023, 08:00 PM

A little word to the wise,

When considering purchasing any used vehicle, look if you know what to look for, or have someone that knows look at the vehicle underneath for rust damage.
They all rust , but some really get bad and can get expensive to repair , if repairable. The outside can look great and yet the vehicle could be unsafe to drive.

Old 08-02-2023, 02:47 PM
Default 2011 ford Escape rust on subframe

[QUOTE=cjr2011;128693]I have a 2011 Ford Escape with the same problem! My subframe (K-Frame) rusted on my passenger front and snapped at the weld and then snapped my front axle. I have no money in which to purchase another vehicle/ fix mine ( had to have it towed to an independent mechanic ) He told me it will be about $1,600-$2,500 to replace the subframe and put in a new axle. No one wants to address this issue because there is not an active recall. I called and made a

Wheel completely detached from the sub frame and axle

Snapped axle

Rust on passenger front sub frame at the weld where it snapped

complaint and I think that anybody with a Ford escape needs to go and have it looked at but also make a complaint about the sub frame. This needs to be addressed it needs to be recalled and the people that have had the issue should get it fixed for free.