Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

A huge mystery ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Default A huge mystery ?

I have a 95 T-Bird with 132000 miles that is losing oil somewhere.

Here is the mystery, after topping the oil off a week ago i ran an errand that was 13 miles from home and while on my way back home from the trip i saw where my temperature gauge was on the rise and i limped the car home.
I let the car sit over night and checked the water levels and everything looked fine the next day as far as that was concerned.
I then checked my oil again and the the dip stick was dry as a bone but here is the mystery, i don't burn oil and i don't leak oil and i don't smell any burning oil.
If anybody could offer any advice about this i would be greatly appreciated.
I will try to answer any additional questions that maybe asked.
Thanks!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 PM

Rock: how do you know your bird doesn't leak any oil? You don't see any drops under the car? You may have leaked the oil while driving and then it was gone by the time you were home.
I would add cheap oil to the proper level, run the engine and look again. Watch the oil pressure.
I would also check the engine coolant to see if there is oil in it.
I would look in the intake manifold. A friend of mine had a Jeep and all the oil got sucked into the air cleaner. It came up through the PCV hose. He lost the engine.

I hope someone can give you more than an educated guess. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 AM

Not sure if your engine has an oil cooler, but if it does there is a good possibility the oil which is under higher pressure could be going into the cooling system.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by bluewind
Rock: how do you know your bird doesn't leak any oil? You don't see any drops under the car? You may have leaked the oil while driving and then it was gone by the time you were home.
I would add cheap oil to the proper level, run the engine and look again. Watch the oil pressure.
I would also check the engine coolant to see if there is oil in it.
I would look in the intake manifold. A friend of mine had a Jeep and all the oil got sucked into the air cleaner. It came up through the PCV hose. He lost the engine.

I hope someone can give you more than an educated guess. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply, I checked the engine coolant and all is well!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Not sure if your engine has an oil cooler, but if it does there is a good possibility the oil which is under higher pressure could be going into the cooling system.
Thanks for the reply!