Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

'64 Fairlane PS valve issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 11:15 AM
SJS
Question '64 Fairlane PS valve issues

My '64 Fairlane (V8 260, 3 speed Cruisomatic) has a power steering pressure problem. When I take my hands off the wheel the car veers sharp right. I had to replace the pressure hose recently. Is there a pressure reducer adjustment on the valve. It's not an alignment issue, alignment correct and just done. Could this be a problem with the pump and not the valve? Friends are saying just take the PS out and retro to manual. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. Thanks! SJS

Old 02-18-2019, 02:40 PM

Some of the steering boxes back then had a spool valve on the top of the steering box. If one of the sealing rings on that spool valve is worn or leaking it would allow pressure to leak past and want to steer in the direction the fluid is traveling. Kits used to be available to repair that problem although most shops replaced the steering box.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:52 PM
SJS

Originally Posted by hanky
Some of the steering boxes back then had a spool valve on the top of the steering box. If one of the sealing rings on that spool valve is worn or leaking it would allow pressure to leak past and want to steer in the direction the fluid is traveling. Kits used to be available to repair that problem although most shops replaced the steering box.
Thanks very much for the info, still trying to figure this out. My steering is also a little sloppy, like driving a boat on the lake. I'm considering taking out the PS altogether, but from your description of the steering box, converting to manual (the PS was an option), it may not fix all of my issues. Is that an accurate assessment in your opinion Hanky? Thanks again! SJS

Old 02-18-2019, 06:41 PM

Most of the time we try to utilize all of the features on a vehicle. If parts to correct a problem are difficult to obtain , we might do one thing, but if the parts can be obtained,there is nothing like using a vehicle as it was built to be driven.
There is a place called,
Vintage Parts Inc.
Beaver Dam, Wisc
They might have what you might need. Why not check it out before changing anything.?