68 fairlane 500 - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

68 fairlane 500

Old 03-09-2019, 06:36 PM
Default 68 fairlane 500

Started car,ran a few mins, turn key off, started back up and nothing, no clicking, no noise. Only thing that shows up on dash is temperature light that reads hot. Any help would be great.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:06 PM

This could be a loaded question.
How long was a few minutes?
Do we know if there was coolant in it? If it ran long enough without coolant ,that could be why the hot lite came on.
Worst case scenerio , did the engine get seized?

The next thing I would suggest is; see you can turn the engine over by hand. If you can ,then check the battery, cables, and their connections.
Will it turn over and maybe start with a jump?
Is it manual or auto trans?

If you turn the headlights on, and attempt to start it,what do the headlights do , stay the same, almost go out? The result of that test would tell us where to look next.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:12 PM

All the fluids are fine already checked them all a few minutes was about 3 blocks around my neighborhood to check the new drum brakes I just installed. I jumped the starter and ot fired right up. You can shut the car off by the key. So im thinking ignition switch.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:24 PM

For problems like this , I prefer to use a test lite, easy to use and gives a visual reply instantly.
With the test lite you might check if power is getting to the neutral safety sw. It is an automatic isn't it? There should be power into the neutral safety sw with the key in the start position. All you need to do is confirm power is coming out of the Neutral sw. From there it goes to the starter relay you jumped.. That is the nice part of using a test lite you can hook a piece of wire to the plug you're testing and move the test lite out from under the car and watch what it does.The color of the wire from the ign sw should be the same down at the NS SW and the color of the wire at the start relay should be one of the other wires coming off the NS sw.
I don't want to confuse you regarding back up lights , but I believe they uses a separate sw for them. (Goes back a bit )
If there is a multiple pin connector in the engine compartment at the firewall , make sure that is tight and pins are clean.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:19 PM

So after i went searching, i found the neutral start switch was broken, i was able to start the car after finding it under the dash and up towards the firewall. I appreciate your help

Last edited by Virgil Willhoite III; 03-16-2019 at 04:21 PM.