Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

Replacing a 69 V8 for a new modern engine!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Default Replacing a 69 V8 for a new modern engine!

Okay so here is the deal. I plan on replacing my 69 Galaxie's engine as soon as I have the money. I drive it quite a lot so I need better mileage and reliability over long distances. Right now it has a 302 V8. I want to replace it with a late 90's or early 2000's(??) Electronically fuel injected Engine. I'm trying to keep the pricing between 500-800 for the engine and transmission together total.

Does anyone have any suggestions for engines? Link's or eBay/Craigslist links would be nice! New Hampshire/Massachusetts Craigslist!

Also, what would I need to put in the new engine? Other than the engine itself, what modifications would I need to make? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:01 PM

that car was not designed for a fuel injected engine. you would be asking for trouble doing that anyways. the list seems endless to do something like that and you would ruin the value of the car in the process.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 PM

Have done that before. It's lotsa work. You almost have to buy a whole car to get the wiring harness and sensors and so forth. You have to identify all the wires for power and so forth. You also would have to run a fuel return line to for the fuel injection and would have to mount a fuel injection pump in the fuel line as well. You can do it, I have but its gobs of work.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:29 PM

A 5.4 out of a 09 F150 would be a good option. They only made a billion of them. Everyone does crown vic swaps thats also a good option. It is a lot of work to swap in a mod motor and a computer controlled trans.

What trans are you running? If its a C4 you might benefit from a 4 speed like a 4r70w (oull need a controller for it to work) or 5 speed like a M5OD or a T5 world class.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:13 AM

For what it is worth,
You are dealing with apples and oranges here.
Keep in mind the later engine is computer controlled and relies on feedback from several sensors to even start , much less run.
As someone stated earlier , it's not impossible, but is a LOT of work and expense Once you have some idea how a computer controlled engine works , you might reconsider if you want to even start a project like this. You will certainly learn what "The Can of Worms" is all about. For example, you will need to have an Oxygen sensor in both sides of the exhaust before it gets to the third oxygen sensor after the converter. So who needs that, the computer, . It uses that info to control the fuel injectors which are controlled by the computer and a load of wires feeding the multiple sensor info to it. Like the gent said, it can be done, but you might want to do a LOT of homework before you jump into the WA NU Nah !

Old 04-07-2019, 08:18 AM

To make it easier with all that you should get a donor car 5.0 mustang or truck 5.0 with a 10 speed trans That way youll have everything you need. You might have to cut the trans tunnel to make it fit but it would be worth it for the gas mileage and 400 hp.

It isnt a weekend project, it can take years to complete. Lots of people do it but its hard.

Last edited by Mightyox; 04-07-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:02 PM
imp

Originally Posted by Mightyox
To make it easier with all that you should get a donor car 5.0 mustang or truck 5.0 with a 10 speed trans That way youll have everything you need. You might have to cut the trans tunnel to make it fit but it would be worth it for the gas mileage and 400 hp.

It isnt a weekend project, it can take years to complete. Lots of people do it but its hard.
My first conversion was a '91 Mustang 5.0 HO in my 1970 Bronco. Trying to keep everything Mustang, I used the serpentine belt system, T-5 transmission modified with Jeep O/D gears and adapter for transfer case (Ford T-5 O/d gears wouldn't fit the adapter), the PCM wound up in the glove box! Took me 3 months. Wiring diagrams spread all over the kitchen table. Used in-line fuel pump specified for F-150, frame mounted. The truck ran like hell!

Here's how it looked:

The can connecting throttle body to duct was a baby-food can I sized off store shelves, something like Similac.

Intake cleared stock master cylinder by 1/2 inch, engine sitting on stock 302 mounts!

Old 04-08-2019, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by imp
My first conversion was a '91 Mustang 5.0 HO in my 1970 Bronco. Trying to keep everything Mustang, I used the serpentine belt system, T-5 transmission modified with Jeep O/D gears and adapter for transfer case (Ford T-5 O/d gears wouldn't fit the adapter), the PCM wound up in the glove box! Took me 3 months. Wiring diagrams spread all over the kitchen table. Used in-line fuel pump specified for F-150, frame mounted. The truck ran like hell!

Here's how it looked:

The can connecting throttle body to duct was a baby-food can I sized off store shelves, something like Similac.

Intake cleared stock master cylinder by 1/2 inch, engine sitting on stock 302 mounts!
Run like hell, its that good or bad?

Old 07-31-2019, 08:31 AM

Hello
sounds like you want to spend $$$$
302 is a 5.0 in more modern terms.

a Ford AOD will bolt right up to it. so will the 4R70W the AOD is stand alone 3spd with Od
the 4R is computer controlled...
I'd go with a AOD.
that will really improve you milage for around $650 or so... depending on where you live
you can do a few things to the 302,
change out the points to electronic install a higher voltage coil, then you can open the plug gap my 351c runs
45 K gap
have the carb rebuilt...
have the compression checked. First
a fuel injected engine is ok if you have the $$$. Mid 1985 I think,,, when Ford first used injection
but like said, fuel pumps, return lines to the tank, new fittings,
Work with what you have and improve it...

Old 03-20-2020, 10:52 PM
gta

You could run a 302 roller motor with a carb and a AOD. I put a 1992 Mustang engine in my 1974 Bronco and switched to carb. and a E303 Ford cam.Ran great. You can pick up a stock AOD from the junk yard pretty cheap and it will bolt right up . You'll have to buy a few small parts like lever to carb linkage ,level for the value body and shifter and drive shaft .I just installed a AOD behind my carbed 302 in my Falcon. Roger