Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

2019 E-350 Triton V10 6.8L - Coolant Found on Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 07:45 PM
Default 2019 E-350 Triton V10 6.8L - Coolant Found on Oil Pan

Hello,
I would not have thought that my first post here would be at 50k miles, but here I am.

After returning from a trip in my C-Class RV, I noticed a couple wet marks on my driveway under the engine. After looking underneath, I noticed they were from coolant dripping off the bottom of the oil pan. The entire pan had coolant on it, with heavier coverage on the front than the back - see first two attached images and video.
No evidence stuck out to me that it was from a failure related to the lower radiator hose. Plus, I can't see how a failure would result in coolant collecting on the bottom of the pan.
Upon closer inspection, it seems like the leak is coming from above this area. Tracing an (assumed coolant) leak path, I land in the area of the water pump pulley (see 3rd attached image and 2nd video. I was unable to confirm it's coolant (rubbing my finger on it and smelling them did not smell of anything coolant-related, I wonder if after a certain point of drying it loses it smell?). The RV has been sitting for at least a week now and this assumed-leak area is still wet.

Does anyone have an idea where it's coming from / what the issue could be?

suspected coolant leak from water pump pulley area.

(1st video: leak on oil pan viewed from underneath vehicle)
(2nd video: suspected leak from pump viewed from above engine looking down between engine and radiator fan)

Old 04-29-2024, 06:04 AM

Keep in mind the cooling fan blows any coolant in the front area to the back of the engine.

It does appear from the pix to be a leaking water pump. You can verify if you remove the belt and pulley from the water pump. To replace the pump you will need to remove those parts anyway.

Old 04-29-2024, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Keep in mind the cooling fan blows any coolant in the front area to the back of the engine.

It does appear from the pix to be a leaking water pump. You can verify if you remove the belt and pulley from the water pump. To replace the pump you will need to remove those parts anyway.
Thanks for the reply. This will be my first crack at doing anything with a water pump. While investigating, are there specific areas on/around the pump I should focus on to verify?