Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

front end alignment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 05:52 PM
Default front end alignment Questions

Hello,
I own a purpose built for hot air balloon retrieve 1992 Champion Class C RV on a 1992 Ford E350 chassis with 460 CID engine.
Last year, I had an accident when I struck a parked Sheriffs car. Hydroplaning on slick road with totaling the Dodge charger and caving the left front suspension on my rig. No major injuries to the Peace Officer or myself. Liability covered all the damage and I was not charged. Fortunately. Had no collision coverage so the repair was on me. There was no Frame damage, so I sourced used parts and new components. Jacked the rig up in front of my friends body shop, as he did not have door space for the unit and in five days I did the work was ready to roll.
As part of the process, I replaced the upper and lower ball joints, the front drive side axle and the radius arm, the shock and all the associated grommets etc. and the front bumper. Still to do minor body damage to the front fender.
Interestingly the vehicle tracks as true as ever, with the exception that the steering wheel indexes at about 2 o'clock. I am curious if the front tie rod from the steering sector to both wheels may have been bent.
QUESTION: Do any of you know if that component is suppose to be strait across or have a slight ark. My now has a slight arc and I am wondering if this is the reason for the wheel not being indexed to 12:00. Thanks in advance for any input.
If you know of an o line resource that has photos of the front end components, that would be appreciated. Thanks
Robert

Old 07-19-2021, 08:46 PM

If the steering wheel was setting correctly before the accident, AND there should be no arc in any of the tie rods chances are pretty good the tie rod needs to be replaced and Toe adjusted. Realignment recommended.