Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2009 escape help

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 08:47 AM
Default 2009 escape help

my girlfriend has a 2009 ford escape 3.0 xlt 2wd i have replaced the gr valve and the throttle body which others have recommended but nothing has changed the issue. it feels like its under a heavy load or bogged so to say Usually seems to be when accelerating or going up a hill. Ranges from speed from when it happens. There is no trouble codes I was leaning towards a fuel issue cause it will sit there and putter and you floor it abnout 5 seconds later it feels it catches up. Its causing issues while driving saftey hazard. Going to pass a car or pull out and it surges and has even died Anyone have any ideas what to check next

Old 12-24-2020, 10:35 AM

Before throwing out a bunch of suggested checks,
Could you bring us up to date on what maintenance has been done, say last 3-6 months?
Routine and other.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:51 AM

Hi cwebb88, I attest to having the same problem with my 2009 ford escape 3.0 xlt. It has been a curious issue that started happening to me around 210,000 km and is still presentient at 250,000 km. To date, I have changed the throttle body and spark plugs. Moreover I did change the transfer case fluid, transmission fluid, and rear differential gear oil, which made no difference (these needed to be done anyway and because it was related to the drive train and possibly causing the "bogged down" feeling you described). Maintenance has been done regular since being the original owner - I am actually quite proud and had taken pride in being a prudent maintainer.

My take on it is that it feels like a fuel problem. It seems when pressing the accelerator at certain conditions it does not increase the fuel delivery for the extra power required. For instance climbing a hill on the highway. It will either kick back a gear or after holding the accelerator after an extended time (without going too far to drop the transmission back a gear) it will eventually allow the suv to start picking up engine speed/power. I would check the fuel pressure, but currently I do not own the tool, but I think I will get one to verify fuel rail pressure in the future.

I was however going to next take out the fuel pump and clean the "lifetime" filter - if such a thing is possible. I have a picture included from FordParts showing what looks like the filter circled in red and highlighted yellow. I bought carb clearer and will use this and possibly a toothbrush to scrub the filter if possible. At the same time, I will clean out my tank. I suspect after 12 years and being in Canada, it will likely need to be be done and I see no better time then that moment. I thought this would be prudent anyway, but it does not explain why the suv picks up the power/engine speed after holding the accelerator for a while. You would think a fuel restriction is a fuel restriction. Mabey electronic sensors may be playing havoc. For example, MAP sensor or throttle position sensor or fuel pump module? If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps tips with what to look for with an OBDII reader (I did just get one) may help if it is an electronic issue??

Thanks in advance