Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 01:45 AM
Default Engine Swap

Have a 2010 Ford Escape Limited I believe is the trim. 2.5L engine. AWD. 8th VIN digit is "8". Engine is gone.

Donor motor is from a 2012, Fusion I believe. 2.5 as well. 8th digit VIN is "A"

Other than the salvage yard I got it from which broke the oil pan removing it from the car I have been having difficulty finding any cross reference data showing that the donor motor will work for this car

My plan is to swap the engine harness from old to donor, injectors and any other parts that don't appear to match up.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

The crank pulley is still on the old and new engine as well so timing won't be a issue from what I've gathered.

I'll replace the Thermostat. Other than the thermostat, oil change and another oil change after getting it running it for about 15-20 min to get it to operating temp. Also plan on flushing fresh water thru it before completely draining then putting coolant in.

I'll do the intake gasket, PCV hose as I've heard these can be a issue. Car has about 72k miles on it and donor car is @ 98k miles.

Anything anyone else can see, can attest to that regarding the engine? Also any other pointers? I want this to go smooth.

Regarding the old engine it had a crack in the oil pan, Everytime oil was added it would come out on ground. I looked at it and determined the hole wasn't in the pan but in fact the block so we determined it needed a engine .

Pulling the ignition coils the #3 plug had green/goldish fluid that was around the plug (see pic, zoom in for better view). Makes me wonder if that's the problem cylinder as the coolant temp sensor and other 3 plugs don't have this fluid, oil? around it. I'm thinking based on the color it's coolant.

You have to zoom in to see it around the edge of the plug.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:38 AM

Suggest you VERY CAREFULLY compare and check the crank pulleys.
Sometimes they pull a switch and they are different regarding the reluctors for the crank sensor.. The days of just an ordinary engine swap are GONE !
It's the things you can't see that will drive you up the wall.