Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

How To Plug-in Engine Block Herater?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:21 PM
Question How To Plug-in Engine Block Herater?

I just ordered a new 2018 Escape SE. It comes with an engine block heater. But the end of the cord is in an odd place up on top of the engine. I don't see any opening to run the cord through the front grill like I had on my previous Escape. So does the hood need to be open to plug it in? Is it safe to close the hood on the cord?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:11 AM

Because playing around with 120 volts AC is not a good idea to take any chances.

First, have you checked with the service dept where you purchased the vehicle , maybe they can help you out with an acceptable solution ?

Second; you definitely don't want to have a live wire possibly getting jammed and damaged/cut by having the hood close on it, definitely a NO NO !

Third; Even snaking the cord through any openings that are not with protection for the cord is asking for trouble.

Fourth; If all else fails, what could be considered , is drilling a hole large enough for the plug to fit through (Requires a hole saw) in a safe location from any possible damage, installing a protective grommet to protect the cord from getting damaged by the sheet metal, then place the plug in a convenient location for you to make the connection as your other vehicle most likely had.

I know most folks won't go through the trouble, but the power to supply the engine heater should have it's own shut off capability so after the cords are connected, then the power can be turned on or plugged in.
There is a nice feature that was used for fleets where the power was connected to a stationary plug that was covered unless it had a cord plugged in, and a pilot lite confirmed power was getting to the heater, nice feature. Even if I had a 2018 year vehicle , I would like to know the heater will be working instead of finding out the next morning when everything is ice cold.
As you know when its 20 below or colder it's no fun trying to do much especially if the vehicle was outside all night.