Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Issues with head unit/outside air temperature/oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 12:01 PM
Question Issues with head unit/outside air temperature/oil change

Hi, I am having multiple issues with my 2016 Ford Escape with a mileage of less than 23,000. I am hoping someone can advise me as to whether these are all related or not.

1. OEM Head unit - It keeps showing the "do you want to turn on automatic updates" screen, I click yes, and finish. Then it will not recognize my phone and loses all my contacts, so I have to pair it again. The clock also loses an hour and I have to reset it. This happens several times a week. Occasionally, when I shut off the car, a screen pops up that tells me to shut off the car or I'll run the battery down, but the car is already off. Sirius also loses its signal regularly. So much so that I don't listen to it anymore. I have tried to update Sync, but I always get an error.

2. A few weeks ago, I got the "oil change required" message 4-5 times in 1 week. It has been less than 1,000 miles since the oil was changed. I reset it each time and it went away.

3. Then I began to have issues with the outside air temperature. The numbers were all over the place, ranging from -20 to 120+. I am in Florida and the correct temperatures at this time should be in the 70-95 range. Sometimes, there can be a temperature shown on the head unit and --- on the dash screen. If the temperature is low (below 40ish), then the AC will only blow hot air. I can get into the car and have a reading of 20 degrees, start driving and watch it increase to 100+ in just a minutes or so. I can shut off the car, get back in and its low again. Or I can get back in and it's too high.

Previous repairs include: replaced throttle body @ 5,768 miles, replaced PCM @ 6,132 miles, replaced battery @ 11,848, and battery again @ 16,526.

Am I looking at 3 separate issues or are they all related? (The 3/36 warranty has expired. Are any of these covered under something else?) Thank you.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:59 PM

Can we ask who is doing the work on your vehicle?

Old 06-06-2020, 03:11 PM

All the previous work was done by dealers under warranty. If we can determine what's going on, I can either go to a dealer, a local certified shop, or do it myself if it's a simple fix.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:49 PM

It is unusual for a new battery to need to be replaced so soon. When that is done a battery relearn should be done , don't know if it was.

There is something you might try and it involves disconnecting the battery. Do you think you would want to get into this or prefer to have an experienced shop do it?
It is called a forced relearn. Helps get rid of gremlins.