Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2003 expedition dies randomly

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 02:18 PM
Default 2003 expedition dies randomly

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4L that runs great but will die randomly while driving. The battery light always comes on but the lights do not dim or flicker the engine just shuts off and it will recrank fine hours later.
We have replaced all the coils and spark plugs, the oil filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, air filter, pcv elbow and it will still die at random times. Does anyone have any ideas about what may be causing this?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:19 PM

I can understand where you are coming from, but some of what you replaced would be considered routine maintenance items. If what you experience is just like shutting the key off, I believe it is most likely an electrical problem.
Just because I might make a few suggestions does not mean you should go replacing a lot of good parts. So we understand , does the vehicle crank over and start right up after it quits , yes-no ?
Depending on the answer will help provide some direction.
I know you stated it will crank and start later, but we need to know what it does at the time it quits.
Is there some particular thing you might be doing at the time it stops?
Slowing down, accelerating , applying the brakes please provide as much info as you can, thanks.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:41 PM

Yea some of those are routine maintenance I mentioned them only so that any repliers would know that all of the routine maintenance had been done recently and none of those things would be the problem.

As as I mentioned above it is random when this happens there is no particular pattern to it. Sometimes it will die at idle other times it will be driving 65mph and it will just stop. Sometimes it will be after I have driven for a while and other times it will happen after only driving a couple minutes. (Yes exactly as if you just turned off the ignition) it never cranks back up immediately it is only after several hours that it will restart.

I have been feeling like it’s an electrical problem because of the unpredictable nature of the problem.