Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 5.0 with trans noise on acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:19 AM
Default 2011 5.0 with trans noise on acceleration?

I traded in the 2006 for a new 2011 5.0 automatic.
When the truck is in gear and the windows open i can hear what sounds like a brake squeek when i gently step on the gas. I know the obvious answer would be to not gently step on the gas but stomp on it but it just doen't sound right. The squeek will continue at the low end of each gear as it shifts if i keep the pedal gently pressed. as the rpm's increase the squeek stops. I'm dropping it off at the dealer tonight for the remote start install which was part of the purchase deal and want to have them look into it. Has anyone had this issue or have any idea what i should tell them to look into? Thank you very much. Hank.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:21 AM
Default Update

Originally Posted by cyclonehank
I traded in the 2006 for a new 2011 5.0 automatic.
When the truck is in gear and the windows open i can hear what sounds like a brake squeek when i gently step on the gas. I know the obvious answer would be to not gently step on the gas but stomp on it but it just doen't sound right. The squeek will continue at the low end of each gear as it shifts if i keep the pedal gently pressed. as the rpm's increase the squeek stops. I'm dropping it off at the dealer tonight for the remote start install which was part of the purchase deal and want to have them look into it. Has anyone had this issue or have any idea what i should tell them to look into? Thank you very much. Hank.
Dealer tells me is was the emergency brake on the drivers side and adjusted it. They claim the noise was gone but when i picked it up i still hear it. Stay tuned for round 2.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:53 AM

Yea, it makes sense that it could be the parking brake hanging up. I know the vehicle is new, but have also heard similar squeaks when a u-joint was running dry.
If you ride the brake a little does the squeak tend to go away?

Old 08-16-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Yea, it makes sense that it could be the parking brake hanging up. I know the vehicle is new, but have also heard similar squeaks when a u-joint was running dry.
If you ride the brake a little does the squeak tend to go away?
It doesn't go away with the brake pressed. You can't hear it from the passenger side. Maybe it has something to do with the way the 6r80 transmission operates. I know early versions has clutch plate problems but mine doesn't exibit the same symptoms. Doesn't it have some sort of floating yoke where the trive system only engages when you apply the gas pedal? Does anyone have a diagram of the guts that might show how it works? Thanks.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by cyclonehank
It doesn't go away with the brake pressed. You can't hear it from the passenger side. Maybe it has something to do with the way the 6r80 transmission operates. I know early versions has clutch plate problems but mine doesn't exibit the same symptoms. Doesn't it have some sort of floating yoke where the trive system only engages when you apply the gas pedal? Does anyone have a diagram of the guts that might show how it works? Thanks.
Update: Took the truck in and the service tech, service manager, and the sales manager all heard the squeek/chirp. We then drove a couple of other 5.0's in both screw and super cabs. All of them made the same sound. They said they would send a request to Ford for further action. Standby.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 PM

They might have a driveshaft problem that the dealer hasn't heard about.