Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 2.7 ecoboost, eating oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 09:23 PM
Default 2015 2.7 ecoboost, eating oil

I purchased a 2015 f-150 super crew/ Lariat at the end of March. At the time I asked the Ford dealership if the oil had been changed and to change it if it hadn’t. They told me it had been and all was well.

In June, I checked the oil and was 1 1/2 quarts low on oil. I added oil and went on my way. I thought maybe it’s wasn’t filled right at the Dealer. A month or so later, I checked before going on vacation and was 1/2 qt low again. I had the oil changed while on vacation at another Ford Dealership and asked them to look for leaks. None were found. I have noticed that my exhaust pipe is real sooty, but the truck doesn’t smoke. That I’ve noticed. I took it to A Ford dealership close to work. They as of yet can’t find anything wrong. It still has factory warranty, 35,530 miles. Love the truck. Sorry for the long story, but figured I should post as much info as possible about it. I also don’t think the dealership that has it now is doing anything wrong. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be happening?

Old 08-24-2018, 03:32 AM

If the correct procedure for shutting down a turbocharged engine is not followed the turbo seals don't do their job and now allow cooling and lubricating oil to pass into the intake and get burned. That should be checked for that, turbos are expensive.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:45 AM
Default Thank you Hanky.

What is the proper procedure? I wasn’t told anything about a procedure by the dealerships. I didn’t noticed anything in the manual either. Are you thinking that the seal may be bad?

Old 08-24-2018, 04:44 PM

After a hard run the turbo is pretty hot and if the oil supply is cut off the oil will crystalize on the bearings and shaft and ruin any kind of sealing.
The usual recommended procedure is to let the engine idle for 30 to 60 seconds to allow the lube oil to cool the turbo and prevent damage to the bearings and seals.

What you can check is to remove the tubing that goes from the turbo to the intake manifold and look for excessive oil accumulation. A slight coating is considered normal If there is an unusual amount of oil in there it could be coming from the turbo and should be checked out.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:47 PM

I mentioned it to the dealership earlier. They say they can’t find anything wrong. They said that the computer should be showing a trouble code if it was using as much oil as I think it is. They don’t have an explanation for the soot in the exhaust pipe. They acknowledge it being there though. They told me that the truck will usually be down a quart of oil, after 5000 miles. I’ll take a look at the tube tomorrow.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:11 AM

When are you checking your oil level? When the engine is stone cold or after running? The 2.7 takes a while to drain down for proper level checking. Also, do you have a pic of the sooting on your tail pipe so that we can see how much you're talking about?

Old 08-27-2018, 07:20 AM

ive been checking it while it’s warm. Almost everywhere I park is on a slope. To get an accurate cold check is kind of a problem. I asked about that to. The dealer said to give it at least 10 minutes or so, then check when it’s warm. It looks like they wiped it out to see if more would build up. I’m guessing that what all this is coming down to, is that I’ve never owned a boosted vehicle. Our 2015 Explorer doesn’t have an eco boost engine. I can’t compare, other then to say that it doesn’t have as much soot as the truck and has 35000 more miles on it. I’m learning more everyday about the newer vehicles 🙂

Old 08-27-2018, 10:59 PM

I've got the 3.5L Ecoboost in my 2015 Lariat and the 1.5L Ecoboost in our Fusion. Both have a certain amount of soot around the tailpipe end. On a boosted engine, as boost increases, pressure increases in the crankcase over normal, so you'll have a tendency to pull more oil vapors out of the engine and munch them up during combustion. This is where the tubing that goes from the turbo to the intake manifold comes into play that HANKY was referring to.