Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77 F-150 Couple issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Default 77 F-150 Couple issues

I got this truck a couple weeks ago. The gear shifter had to be lifted or pulled up to catch the Park and get the truck to start. Well it was not starting one day and I tried to crank it too many times until finally the positive battery terminal melted. I replaced that terminal, would not start, so I took apart the steering column then found out that the gear shifter has broken off, so I got a steering column and replaced it.

Now with new steering column, you still have to pull the gear shifter towards you just to get the engine to click when trying to start. Still not starting, tried jumping off battery, just a click. There is a relay switch sitting about a foot from the battery that is also making a noise when trying to start, it is connected to the positive side of the battery I believe.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you. My next idea is to take off the battery and have it tested at autozone.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 AM

This is the way the system is supposed to operate.
When you turn the key switch to the start position it is supposed to send a positive voltage to the solenoid that you hear clicking next to the battery (to energize it).
When that solenoid is energized it completes the path from the battery positive terminal to the starter thereby causing it to operate. All this requires a good battery and good connections , both , positive and ground connections.
There should be a switch assy on the lower portion of the steering column whose purpose is to to allow the vehicle to start in only the park or neutral positions only.
That rotary switch should be adjustable to allow the vehicle to start in one of the correct positions and also operate the back-up lights if applicable.
Usually when a connection get overheated either by excessive current draw or poor connection (high resistance) it is trying to tell you there exists one of those conditions.
I didn't want to bore you with all the detailed info, but I didn't know any other way to clarify it.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:02 AM

Thank you. The connections at the battery terminal are tight and new. The connection to the solenoid from the battery tho is iffy. There are several wires wrapped around a bolt on solenoid, then the positive cable from the battery is attached at same bolt using one of those metal eyes that clamp around the bare wires. These are all secured with a tight fitting nut.

When I got the truck, the starter was hanging a bit and only loosly attached with one bolt. I have since added a new bolt (making it 2 bolts holding it) but do you think that connection could be bad from the solenoid?

Thank you again.

EDIT: also, I just tested the battery and put a new one on. Same thing is happening, single click.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 PM

If you had a simple test light or voltmeter it would make things easier.
Usually when you just get the one click, either the solenoid is not making contact internally to pass the current on to the starter or if the solenoid ground is poor the solenoid will try to work but will not close hard enough to make the good connection internally. We don't know what condition the starter motor itself is in. There are some shortcuts you could try but they would require that you remove the starter to perform them. Do you have any kind of test lite to work with?

Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 PM

Thank you, I can buy a test lamp to use. WHat should I do with it?

The solenoid was hanging off as well and I screwed it back in tight to the wall. Still the truck will not start, just the 1 click.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:24 PM

You clip the alligator clip from the test lite to the negative battery terminal. Then confirm the light works by poking the test lite point on the battery positive terminal.
Next touch the tip of the lite to the solenoid to verify there is voltage available to the solenoid from the battery.
Next have someone turn the key to the start position and at the same time touch the point of the test lite to the other large terminal of the solenoid. It should light with the same intensity as when you touched the positive battery terminal. All this does is confirm that current is getting through the solenoid. If you don't have anyone available to turn the key just place the clip of the test lite on that large terminal and jam the point into a good ground where you can see the test lite. When the key is turned to start you should see the light lite.
If all worked as expected, next clip the test lite clip to the terminal on the starter and again place the point on/into a good ground and turn the key to the start position , the test lite should lite to confirm voltage is getting to the starter. Let us know what result you received. If all the above tests were as expected the problem could be the starter itself.
There are times when we get this problem , you can take a hammer and hit the starter once or twice and then again try to start it. If a brush gets hung up in the starter the friendly whack will sometimes dislodge it.

Last edited by hanky; 05-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.