Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 02:58 AM
Default Manual transmission problems

I have a 97 F150 4.6 litre engine. 4x4 5 speed manual transmission.
Ive had problems with it being hard to shift into gear at a stand still. I could shut it off and it would go into gear without a problem and shift just fine until I came to a stop. I could down shift into gears with no problem. It was mainly at a dead stop I couldn't get it to go into 1st or any other gear.
Well today I was leaving the driveway and I had 1st and 2nd. 5th and reverse. But 3rd and 4th was gone and sounded like neutral. My friend took it down the road and its now like stuck between gears and I can't shift into any gear now. Its like its locked up or something. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:32 AM

The reason you could not get it into gear at a stop is because the clutch is not completely releasing. If a clutch master cyl is used in your vehicle , would be a good idea to check the fluid level.

The problem with 3rd & 4th is most likely a problem with either the shift fork, or synchronizer for those 2 gears. This is speculation only and the only way to know for sure is to pull the trans , open it up and look.
In either case you may need to remove the trans anyway to verify there is no problem with the slave cyl if one is used.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
The reason you could not get it into gear at a stop is because the clutch is not completely releasing. If a clutch master cyl is used in your vehicle , would be a good idea to check the fluid level.

The problem with 3rd & 4th is most likely a problem with either the shift fork, or synchronizer for those 2 gears. This is speculation only and the only way to know for sure is to pull the trans , open it up and look.
In either case you may need to remove the trans anyway to verify there is no problem with the slave cyl if one is used.
Thank you hanky I appreciate the info. I will Definetly be pulling my trans for futrther investigating.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:49 PM

Sometimes the simple things evade our observations.
Something to consider, if you are going to open the trans for checking, it is very important to make sure all the junk is cleaned and removed from the outside before any disassembly is attempted. Pieces can require replacement if worn or broken and all pieces inside the trans are cleaned out, but any introduction of addl dirt etc. is not good and should be avoided .As you well know , bearings and gears do not do well with grit and other unneeded stuff !

Old 05-27-2019, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Sometimes the simple things evade our observations.
Something to consider, if you are going to open the trans for checking, it is very important to make sure all the junk is cleaned and removed from the outside before any disassembly is attempted. Pieces can require replacement if worn or broken and all pieces inside the trans are cleaned out, but any introduction of addl dirt etc. is not good and should be avoided .As you well know , bearings and gears do not do well with grit and other unneeded stuff !
Hi hanky,
I have decided instead of pulling trans I just removed my shift lever I can't seem to find the right gear its suppose to be in. I have 1st thru 4th and it feels like a wall is up when I try 5th and reverse. This is a very hectic job and I don't want to do any unnecessary work if I don't have to. Thank you again for all the info. I so much appreciate it.