Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Airbag Light Stays on ALL THE TIME.F250 1997

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:29 PM
Default Airbag Light Stays on ALL THE TIME.F250 1997

I have old 1997 F250 pickup. 5.4L 2WD.
I need to get it inspected next month, April. Its March now.
Airbag light will cause it to fail.
Airbag light just comes on and stays on.
No check engine light.
No beeping. No flashing. Light just stays on when starting.
Its hard to find info on srs light.
Help.
Its a 1600 dollar truck so dealer is out of the question. Owned 1 week.
What could cause this????????
I found the front crash detectors and they are present and connected to their wiring harness.
The air bad is unsplit and looks like it is in there although I did not assemble it.
The fuses 19 and 22 are in their slots but I did not pull to check closely.
I found 1 harness under the drivers seat that was unplugged but I don't think that mattered. I plugged it in.
No air bag codes ever displayed.
I did get egr codes and corrected the problem I hope. Codes gone for 3 days now. Hoses on egr sensor were swapped/reversed. grrr.
Mother in law airbag option appears to work, turn off, little lite come on. Turn on it goes off. Well, mother in law still here so that is debatable. lol.
I plan to 1) pull fuses 19, 22 to check carefully.
2) Look under passenger seat for cable snot plugged in.
3) examine airbag diagnostic monitor to verify plugged in.
I did disconnect battery for 1 hour to see if that would fix. Nope.
I get freaky radio turn ons. It just turns on and I have trouble turning it off but it does go away.
What else can I do???

Joe. Questions?

Old 03-26-2017, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Sounds like a diagnostic monitor issue, During the Key ON SRS self test, any circuit or component issues should produce a flash code (LFC) There's a test/check for Continous ON lamp if you'd like to have a read. Sent to your Reg email..

Last edited by Hayapower; 03-27-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:58 AM

Okay I am looking for the diagnostic module now. Took off right kickplate cover but no sign yet unless it is that thing way way up there I cannot reach. yet. Does anyone know where Airbag diagnostic module is located on my 1997 F250 XL 5.4L?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Right kick panel, 4 bolts holding it on..

Old 03-28-2017, 01:13 PM

Thank you Hayapower. I appreciate your help. I will take out the glove box to check if that's it. Next I plan to check those fuses to be sure they are good. Then I will make sure the diagnostic module is plugged in. Then I'll trace the cable to see if problems exist. Then I'll see if I can find a free place to check for codes. Then if I don't know anything I will try to turn the darn light off. I don't like to throw expensive parts at
problems.

Thanks again,
Joe.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:54 PM

Had the same problem twice on my 1999 F350 with the airbag light staying on. Shortly after the horn went. Ended up being the clock spring. First one replaced was with an aftermarket and the light came back on within 6 months. Second one was replaced with OEM and have not had a problem since.

Last edited by Pmp1086; 04-01-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:05 AM

Thank You. This is possible. My truck has a little front damage but I don't think the bags deployed. I have avoided taking the bags out to inspect them.

An srs compliant scanner would be nice but I have not found one for free yet. The parts stores all say they don't have one? Shops want one hour of labor to plug it in. Some on EBAY for about $50 say they work for fords and srs.

I reconnected the wires under the drivers seat which were disconnected. However I don't think this was it. Not tied to srs system. I checked the fuses and all are 10 amp and good. Two inside and one outside. I will test fuse socket to be sure it has power. I found the control module and it is plugged in. I will try to follow wire bundles to be sure they are plugged in. All "looks" normal. But doesn't work.

Thanks again.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:40 PM

I ordered a srs capable scan tool from Amazon Prime. They give me free shipping and free returns if I am dissatisfied for any reason. It cost $85 plus tax. The Innova 3100j first offered in Jan 2017. The documentation says it does SRS and ABS for most cars and light trucks 1996 till now. I tried to read the reviews but people were posting on earlier models, 4 years old. I contacted the INNOVA company reps and they said it would provide me with srs and abs data for my 1997 F250. And allow me to clear and reset abs and srs codes and malfunction lights. A very explicit and ambitious statement. Now if they only live up to their promise. It wouldn't be the first time. This is why I like Amazon Prime plus the free two day shipping. It will travel Sunday to get here Monday morning. This is also a reason Sears is having financial troubles. I just tippy tap on my laptop and it comes right to my front door. FAST.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:40 AM

The 3100J that's Jay did not work on my truck. Not sure if it not just working or my control unit doe snot store any codes since it is trashed. Perhaps when I get it fixed I can tell.

Those repair directions I got told me to remove the shorting bar to see if the light disappears. How do I remove the shorting bar?

Old 04-09-2017, 10:40 AM

Hey Hayapower. I did all those tests and the end result is it says replace the control module.

But I am not convinced since what those tests do is check the power supply and ground to the indicator light to verify there was not a short to ground or power that kept the light on. I am hearing from others that the passenger side airbag switch light or the clock spring can keep it on. It does go out when I unplug the module cables or the ground bar in the connector which might come in useful. Perhaps other problems could keep that light lit. The drivers airbag is there and unshot