Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Automatic Transmission shifter broken....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Their talking about the press in nylon linkage clips/retainers. requires a pliers type tool to remove/install, although you can improvise..

If an auto, be sure to disconnect the shift indicator prior to lowering the column. When you replace the shift tube, be sure to replace the 2 shift tube bushings between the tube and the half clamps/column base. Also, locktite the 2 lower shift lever torx screws on the new tube.. They like to come loose..

Old 11-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Default Shift tube replacement

Shift tube broke on my '02 F250. After looking on some truck forums, I felt I could replace it in short order. But being low on cash I couldn't buy the parts at the time. So pulled the shift cable off at the end of the shift tube and shifted using the end of the cable for a couple of months. Got the parts a week ago and put them in yesterday. I saw on one truck forum someone posted that the Range Sensor causes the shift tube to break. I put the range sensor on first. Then I was able to compare before/after. I was able to pull/push the cable end much easier with the new range sensor. When taking off the old range sensor I saw there was rust expansion between the sensor and the shaft. This caused to range sensor collar to expand on the shaft making it difficult to move. I used emery cloth to clean the shaft and put the new sensor on. Replaced the tube and plunger and bushing. It now shifts as easy as it did when new. I believe if you only replace the tube/plunger/bushings w/o replacing the range sensor you will be replacing them again before long. The only reason the screws should be loose on the end of the shift tube is if something downstream is causing difficulty. In my case it was the range sensor.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:30 PM

do you now if mercon lv go with mercon v

Old 09-06-2016, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rclsarke
do you now if mercon lv go with mercon v
Not compatable..

Old 06-21-2019, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by coakleytsean
Was about to go home last night from a friends, and started truck up, went to shift it into gear and I heard a crunch in the steering column, The automatic transmission selector **** is now slack and wont shift, just had it towed back to the house, the tow truck guy was able to shift the transmission into neutral under the truck. Its a 1992 ford f350 7.3l dually. Got any ideas what is involved with this fix? I know it cant be THAT bad, but I have talked to the people at the auto parts stores here in town and they dont even know what part i need to buy to fix this. I figure someone on here has gone through this mess.
Thanks in advance for your help!
It sounds like your shifter tube or plunger broke, go to AutoZone you should be able toget a replacement for about 50$ , you will need a socket set and tork bit set and maybe extra hard weare

Old 06-23-2019, 05:58 PM

Anthony Segaaline, were you just now replying to an original post that started this thread back in the year 2010? You must have because you quoted it as if it just happened. It's been solved, or did you not notice the photos and instructions from other posters?

Old 06-05-2023, 06:20 PM
Thumbs up Pictures help a lot!

Originally Posted by coakleytsean
I found the problem, the shifter tube cracked. I am happy its not an expensive part!
Here are some pictures for anyone else that might have this problem.

I havent put the new shift tube assembly in yet, Hoping it wont be a huge deal. Doesnt look like it will be. Gotta wait for it, had to order from napa.
Thanks for the information. The pictures helped a lot.