Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

power folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Default power folding mirrors

I need to replace a destroyed right side non-power folding rear view mirror on a 2009 Ford F250 XLT, but would like to retrofit the truck with power folding mirrors. My major concern is about the wiring. Does anyone know whether the wiring harness would contain the unused leads for the power folding mirrors or would new wiring be needed? Thanks to anyone who may be able to help.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:30 PM

I don't know for sure, but a good part of the time the harness may be already there.
What I can ask is have you considered you might need to change the door panel to accommodate the mirror switch ?

Old 04-20-2019, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Do you have power telescoping mirrors now?
Looking at the mirror head connectors for all levels of mirror options,, they are all the same.
With power telescope /fold being noted as ‘if plus’.
Harness numbers retain the same numbers, but when the L/R panel is removed, if the connector there has both VT-BN and GN-VT in pin positions 2/3 the harness would carry the fold feature as long as the fuse and relay are present..

Look in the BJB fuse position F31-15amp for the power fold relay fuse. The power fold relay itself would be behind the instrument panel, below the main light switch.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the input. The door panel does not look like an issue, since the mirror adjustment switch is on a small, separate panel attached tp the door panel.
Originally Posted by hanky
I don't know for sure, but a good part of the time the harness may be already there.
What I can ask is have you considered you might need to change the door panel to accommodate the mirror switch ?

Old 04-21-2019, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the help. The mirrors do not have power telescoping. Unless the leads that you indicated are further back in the harness, I may be out of luck. The connector that the mirror plugs into has 7 wires in and 7 out and none seemed to be the colors you described. There is a 15A fuse in the 31 position. I did not see anything that might be a relay under the headlight switch. At this point, it looks like I'll just need to keep to pushing those suckers back when parking sp

Old 04-21-2019, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

I can send you the connector views, schematics, but if the door harness is missing the fold circuits mentioned you may have to change out the extension harnesses from the kick panel connectors on out to the doors. Since the fold/extend isn’t module controlled you should be able to add in the features reasonably easy/inexpensively if your comfortable with wiring. I can send you what you need as far as schematics to fab up the add in, even add the wiring needed if you choose to retain the original stub harness within the door/jamb.. I looked at all the door harness listed, and they all seemed to carry the same numbers with ‘if plus’ being the exception.
Let me know if you’d like the info.,,,

Old 04-22-2019, 03:30 PM

Thank you, Hayapower, for your response. After looking at the wiring behind the dash, I think that this project may be beyond my skill/patience level, so I'm just going to replace the old mirror with the manual folder. A man's got to know his limitations...