Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Steering is all over the road

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 01:27 PM
Default Please HELP! Steering is all over the road

My truck is all over the road and extremely bouncy. It's too dangerous to drive and we've taken it to several mechanics and they don't know what's causing our symptoms. It's a 2000 f250 super duty 4x4 extended cab with the v8 5.4 Triton motor. We replaced the steering box and it changed nothing. I believe the previous owner added 2 extra leaves to both of the rear leaf springs. Does anyone know how many leaf springs this truck had originally? When I first got the truck the rear leaf springs didn't have any clamps. I used to hear popping back there when I'd switch from drive to reverse. So I cut out a weird metal chunk that was left on one of the leaves which is what the red arrow is pointing to in one of the pictures I posted and added clamps and then the popping sounds stopped. Didn't fix the steering or bouncing problem though. I am taking the truck to a shop tomorrow to get it all checked out but I wanted to be sure how many leaves it actually came with? If anyone can help me figure this out I'd so appreciate it!

Last edited by jlove; 04-04-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:58 PM

Is the wander in the front or back ?

Have you tried it with different tires ?

More Q's to come, depending on your reply.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:19 PM

Thank you for your response. I can't tell where it's wandering unfortunately. I replaced the back tires but no change in behavior.
I have actually replaced the steering box, tie rods and front bearings. I took the truck to a shop not long ago and they rechecked all of the front end suspension and told me it was all good including the bearings. The bouncing seems like it's caused from it being too stiff, like I can jump on the back bumper and it hardly even moves. I went and took pictures of the top end of the rear leaf springs and the center bolt looks messed up on the drivers side.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:28 PM

Both those saddles look like they have movement, I would remove them, check them closely and maybe replace them..

Bouncing is usually related to worn shocks, I would take them down and check them for compressive resistance..

What pressure are you running in the tires and what ply are they. ?