Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

2006 five hundred limited AWD problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 01:09 PM
Default 2006 five hundred limited AWD problems

Okay so I’m having a few issues.
1. if I go over 3000 RPM my car goes into limp mode. I can negate it by pulling over and restarting the car.
2. if I have the ac running the car goes into limp mode while I’m going under 3000 rpm.
mat random times it will start lagging, almost like a vacuum leak and it will stutter and my whole dash will start wigging out. All the light will flicker and the car will either say check charging system or it will say check brake system or sometimes it will say both back and forth. Which again I can fix by restarting it. These problems usually sort themselfs out if I just stay under 3000 rpm. It gets worse when I drive at night and have the headlights on. It just slightly stutter and the lights inside the car flicker from dim to normal back and forth.

I’ve tried replaced 3 separate coil packs and all the spark plugs. I’ve replaced 2 of the O2 sensors.

the limp mode mostly happens above 3k rpm and the other issues happen randomly it seems. Every time I run the onboard system check it says everything is fine. But when we plug it up to the obd test says everything is fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I use the car everyday so it’s not undrivable, but I would love to not have any issues.
thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-2023, 04:41 PM

Whatever is causing your vehicle to go into limp mode is getting reset each time you shut the engine down.. You will need to connect your code reader while the vehicle is either running or after you shut the engine off and restart driving the vehicle.

It does sound like there is a charging system problem, but that needs to be verified working correctly before moving on to checking the other problem(s).
Taking things one at a time will offer the best chance of finding the problems.