Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

Crank no start 96 f250 efi 460

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 07:00 PM
Default Crank no start 96 f250 efi 460

Hello I'm new here and have ran out of options and hopefully someone has some advice i already havent gotten on what is wrong. I have a 96 f250 with a 460 efi motor I just recently did head gaskets in that will turn over but won't start. It's getting fuel it's not getting spark. I've went over the ground more than once and prior to the head gaskets going bad I did the big 3 upgrade soo all my grounds and powers are 2guage ofc wire. The coil with key on is getting 12v the icm is getting power. There are no blown fuses or relays. Distributor wasn't taken out or unbolted during the head gasket repair. The inside of the Distributor is corroded but it was prior to the repair. The plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil, have less than 3000 miles on them. The icm was just replaced and heat sink cleaned. I even took off the wire harness that comes from fuse box that wraps around the motor and checked every wire visually and with continuity everything was fine. The key igniton was also replaced. All lights work inside and out all functions work besides spark. I bought a inline spark tester and I'm getting zero spark anywhere coil all plugs and Distributor. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful as I don't want to take it to a garage it's probably something stupid I'm guessing. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time

Old 05-08-2023, 09:59 AM

Suppose we start with what needs to happen to get the spark.

Power goes to the coil, the dist, ICM and ECM all have a part in creating the spark..

To begin if you have 12 volts powering the coil,if you ground the other coil wire it should make it produce the spark , does it?

After getting burned so many times with questionable parts I get very suspicious of when so many parts were replaced .So,,,,,,we need to check every step and see what we have against what we are supposed to have.. The better way is to take one step at a time and do it once.

Old 05-10-2023, 06:30 AM

Thanks hanky. The truck is at my buddies house and I hopefully will be going there tomorrow I was suspecting coil or pickup coil in distributor. The coil was replaced before I had any headgasket trouble. The truck ran while dumping coolant out of the driver side head and on the manifold. I had tried to make the coil spark and wasn't having any luck is there another way to test before I buy a Motorcraft coil? I already have a brand new distributor the whole thing I bought awhile ago due to similar problems I have long before I did head gaskets but ended up figuring it out. I didn't want to replace distributor yet until I had it running.