Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

New guy, 06 with a trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Default New guy, 06 with a trans issue

I just picked up an 06 freestar, it initially would move a little, now it wont move at all, I never got to drive it to see it move, or hear what it sounded like.. Ive read about the torque converter issues, is there any way to diagnose what may be wrong before pulling everything out?

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2019, 11:51 AM

Nobody? Its not the converter or input shaft, fluid is pumping, but it wont move, when I put it in gear, the rpms drop a tiny bit like its trying, but the trans does nothing.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:46 PM

Man I wish I could find something but I did the same thing. Bought an 05 Freestar with a bad tranny but I went ahead and swapped it out. The van drove up in my shop, so I know it runs fine but now it has a crank no start problem. I checked the neutral safety switch to see that it was on the mark. I have checked to see everything is plugged in. I did a good job on it. Just can't figure out now that the battery has been removed to change the tramsmission, there are no codes to say anything is arye. Do you have to reprogram the computer or something after replacing a tranny nowadays?
Don't do it man. Don't take it apart. It's a trap! :-)

Old 02-22-2019, 06:52 PM

There is a real lack of info and help out there. Everyone must just take them to a shop.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:40 AM

Suggestion;
Some guys either accidentally or otherwise don't reinstall the necessary ground wires when reinstalling some parts . Did you recheck all your work?

Old 02-24-2019, 11:53 AM

I have a 2006 ford freestyle with the cvt30 tranny. I have had the same problem.I have replace the mecatronics unit but had to get a used one from the junkyard as the newws ones are quite costly. The mecatronics assebly includes the valve body and the pressure and shift solenoids. I'm hoping that takes care of the issue. I'm taking it to the ford dealership to have the transmission computer flashed. Once you change the mecatronics unit it throws the car into what is called limp mode which means the engine won't rev like it's suppose to because the computer can see the trans computer but can't recognize it so it has to be updated "flashed".

Old 02-24-2019, 12:00 PM

you may have to get it flashed by the dealership? The dealership will update the transmission computer and connect it the computer under the dash. Each transmission is programmed to that specific car. so if you changed the tranny than you have to get it flashed.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Morrison
you may have to get it flashed by the dealership? The dealership will update the transmission computer and connect it the computer under the dash. Each transmission is programmed to that specific car. so if you changed the tranny than you have to get it flashed.
I wonder if there is something in the trans you can swap to not have to go through that, probably something in the valve body?