Ford Mustang For over 50 years, the Mustang name has stood for affordable industry leading performance with its powerful V8 Ford Mustang engines and sporty lines.

98 Ford Mustang pats system

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 07:10 AM
Default 98 Ford Mustang pats system

Let me start off with the original keys, and cylinder are not with the car do to my girlfriends idiot ex boyfriend. And on the round transmitter that sits around the lock cylinder is missing the little round chip I believe. So I am stuck with a car we just went to pickup (16 hr round trip) so I can park my diesel. Anyways, is there anyway to bypass this thing? Can I go to a junk yard and get the transmitter, cylinder lock and keys out of a another car? I’m lost here. Thanks in advance

Old 03-24-2022, 12:10 PM

You probably could get away with switching the entire upper steering column ign and all.

What you will need to do once the assembly is complete is either have a dealership come and program the entire system to the original vehicle as built set-up
Or have a capable locksmith come and do the programming, which could be somewhat less costly.

The new keys as well as the security module will all need to be reprogrammed to the vehicle or you may never get it started.

Not much choice here, but once done correctly , you should have a complete working security system .

Old 03-24-2022, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
You probably could get away with switching the entire upper steering column ign and all.

What you will need to do once the assembly is complete is either have a dealership come and program the entire system to the original vehicle as built set-up
Or have a capable locksmith come and do the programming, which could be somewhat less costly.

The new keys as well as the security module will all need to be reprogrammed to the vehicle or you may never get it started.

Not much choice here, but once done correctly , you should have a complete working security system .
that was part of the plan anyway due to the airbag cover is showing the airbag. Hopefully I can get lucky at junk yard. The dealer said it’s 80 bucks to reprogram the system. I was just hoping I could bypass all together. I heard there’s 2 wires I can splice to do it, but I don’t know which ones.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:56 PM

Was that 80 dollar figure if you brought the vehicle to the dealer or included road service to your location?

Because keys have a way of becoming defective, make sure you get 3 coded working keys, why?
You can code your own keys as long as you have 2 working keys. If you cannot get to coding more keys and you lose one key or it goes haywire , you can still help yourself. Something to do with Murphy's law,, lol.
If it can happen at the worst time , it WILL !

Last edited by hanky; 03-24-2022 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:59 PM

Was that 80 dollar figure if you brought the vehicle to the dealer or included road service to your location?
i have to tow it to them. Problem is though I don’t even know if the car will crank, it’s been sitting in the west texas heat for almost 6 years. It will turn over with push button. But doesn’t do anything with the key. I’m assuming that’s due to paps.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:05 PM

If you put in fresh gasoline yourself ,,, you won't have to pay for someone else to do that.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:14 PM

If you put in fresh gasoline yourself ,,, you won't have to pay for someone else to do that.
i planned on it, I don’t take vehicles to a shop. What would be the fastest way to drain the gas without dropping the tank? I haven’t tried siphoning yet but I’m sure there’s a safety feature on that

Old 03-24-2022, 03:49 PM

Some , including 1998 year vehicles have been very difficult to siphon gasoline from the tank. Usually tried to use a hose of 3/8 or 5/15 inside diameter and could not get past the internal baffles and valving in the neck or inside the tank. Fuel injected vehicles just about all, have a fuel pump inside the gas tank. If you were able to relieve the pressure in the line and open it near the fuel filter mounted on the chassis, you could place the line coming from the fuel pump into a safe container and provide power to the fuel pump and pump out MOST of the fuel. If you run the pump dry until no fuel comes out , you may as well buy another fuel pump and go the replacement route.
Nobody knows how much water may be in the tank, so add some dry-gas additive.and change the fuel filter before adding fresh gas and attempting to start the engine.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:03 PM

Some , including 1998 year vehicles have been very difficult to siphon gasoline from the tank. Usually tried to use a hose of 3/8 or 5/15 inside diameter and could not get past the internal baffles and valving in the neck or inside the tank. Fuel injected vehicles just about all, have a fuel pump inside the gas tank. If you were able to relieve the pressure in the line and open it near the fuel filter mounted on the chassis, you could place the line coming from the fuel pump into a safe container and provide power to the fuel pump and pump out MOST of the fuel. If you run the pump dry until no fuel comes out , you may as well buy another fuel pump and go the replacement route.
Nobody knows how much water may be in the tank, so add some dry-gas additive.and change the fuel filter before adding fresh gas and attempting to start the engine.
so I picked up a single key/ignition and the black transmitter box that goes around the lock cylinder from the junk yard. Put in and nothing. Tried a few different relearning processes. Theft light blinks fast for 1 minute then slows down after.