Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

02 Taurus cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:39 PM

Bill, my car is a floor shift. What is yours?

Old 01-11-2014, 04:49 PM

Bill, push in on the crank position sensors pig tail just to see if there is a connection problem with the tire off the car. This is how I found my problem.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:56 PM

Trying to get a look at a diagram for your vehicle , having a heck of a time.
One diagram shows the wire to the coil as whit/blu another shows it as red.
In any case there should be only one wire at the coil plug (when unplugged) that when the key is on, should measure battery volts. If you have that , half of the check is done. The other half is to leave the plug off the coil pack and any one of the other wires that come from the PCM to ground one of the coils should have no ground connection until the engine is cranked and the PCM grounds that coil to fire. Even if only one coil works the engine should attempt to start. If nothing happens there the PCM is suspect after the power and grounds have been verified.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:16 PM

I am here if you need me. With the book open.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:06 PM

I don't know if Bill is doing anymore today because he may be working outside and the temp is dropping and it's getting dark AND He probably has had it for today. He has a good one here and if we can help get it straightened out , he's going to be one happy camper.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by hanky
I don't know if Bill is doing anymore today because he may be working outside and the temp is dropping and it's getting dark AND He probably has had it for today. He has a good one here and if we can help get it straightened out , he's going to be one happy camper.
The biggest problem is the rain. I have a patio umbrella positioned over the hood are of the car, my neighbors probably think I'm crazy., but I have to get this thing fixed. I can't get to the plug for the coil without taking off the upper plenum again and that just ain't happening today.

Originally Posted by schroensr
Bill, push in on the crank position sensors pig tail just to see if there is a connection problem with the tire off the car. This is how I found my problem.
I've pushed it in, pulled it off, pushed it in. I'm getting a signal in the wire so I dont think the plug is the problem

Originally Posted by schroensr
Bill, my car is a floor shift. What is yours?
Mine is automatic

If it is the PCM then I am just out of luck. I am broke and my pay checks for the next month are spoken for. Not sure how I will ever get back on the road if it is the PCM.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:28 PM

Where are you on the eastern shore? Mine is a auto on the floor, not on the steering wheel.

Last edited by schroensr; 01-11-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:46 PM

Text me in the am , should be up around 8am .

Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 AM

Until you actually verify that signal from the crank sensor is getting to the PCM we don't know where we stand. If that wire is open anyplace we are not sure it is OK. The only other way we might verify this is by checking at the coil for power and the signal from the PCM to fire the coils, (Provide the ground while cranking & running).

Last edited by hanky; 01-12-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:13 AM

I understand that sir. I'm here most of the day.

Quick Reply: 02 Taurus cranks but won't start