Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Won't Communicate With NYS Inspection Program

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 07:26 AM
Default Won't Communicate With NYS Inspection Program

Hey friends...so we've been struggling with this issue for some time now. Ultimately we can't get an inspection sticker because our 2003 Windstar computer won't communicate with the many NYS Inspection computers at various services facilities. We even brought it to Ford of Hempstead, NY who returned most of our money because they said they couldn't be bothered anymore to find the problem. They advised us to replace the computer which had no effect. We changed a transmission module... cleaned all grounds.... replaced the entire charging system, but still no Inspection. We're at our wits end. I recently installed a used engine and after working out some demons here and there it runs strong--the vehicle cannot be parked on the street fearing Inspection lapse tickets

Old 07-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Maybe and maybe not ,

It's hard to comprehend that a dealership would overlook something simple, but I guess anything is possible.

My first question is did you check all the fuses?
If the fuse that supplies power to pin # 16 of the diagnostic plug, is open, for whatever reason this can result in a "No Communication" problem.
It's a simple thing, but can drive some folks up the wall.

Will your vehicle communicate with anyone else's code reader? Autozone does this for no charge, might want to check it out.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:14 PM
Default Fuse #16

I've actually done as much as I can on my own in the way of checking every fuse between the passenger compartment and engine compartment fuse boxes. I replaced a starter....Ford said they'd checked the pin-out. I did have a accident years back which caused cosmetic damage as well as tripped the Seat belt module. Admittedly I drove around with the SRS and ABS lamp on for more than a year. I've since replaced the seat belt mechanism which extinguished the SRS light, but the ABS lamp prevails. My Brake lamp is also on and my e brake doesn't work. I'm wondering which of these peripheral issues is attributable to the communication errors.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:20 AM

You started giving us a complete picture when you stated the engine was replaced. If we start there maybe we can come up with a logical answer.

There are many things we do not know and whatever info you can provide might help.
Why was the engine replaced?
Was there a communication problem before the engine was replaced?
What about after the replacement?
There may be some clue there.
One item incorrect and the electronics won't work right.
Help us help you.
Will any body else's scan tool work on your vehicle ?
I hope you aren't checking fuses by eye, because that is not reliable. Use a meter or test lite..
When you say the computer was replaced , was it and who replaced it .
Was it programmed to your particular vehicle,if not that is only the beginning

Old 07-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Default No Communicae With DMVay LOL

Yes yes my friend, the engine was changed due to a spun rod bearing but the lapsed communication came well before that. I'm telling you I'm convinced it's related to that accident those years ago. Incidentally I did have the computer reprogrammed along with two new keys programmed along with it..

Old 07-11-2019, 11:11 AM

Years ago an electrical problem caused an expensive trip to a repair shop to fix... they only told me the replaced a wire. Since these most recent attempts at fixing these problems at least 4 shops have found that their computers are detecting my computer and modules but just before it starts transmitting an error message turns up a failure to communicate

Old 07-11-2019, 01:35 PM

Some shops out there come up a little short in the electrical dept and if they don't make an effort to continue training , we haven't yet come up with that tool that fixes everything, all you need to do is plug it in.

A shop with a good electrical tech can most likely find and correct the problem, but they re getting increasingly hard to find. There is not very much that can be offered over the net for a problem like this. I do believe you are correct in suspecting something possibly related to the accident and it doesn't have to be major ,but will take some serious investigating to determine the cause.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:09 PM

I hope you didn't think I gave up on your vehicle's problem because a challenge is almost always worth investigating, so let's have a go at it.

I need some addl info from you,

Does your vehicle have any aftermarket devices added on to it?
Remote start?
GPS tracking device?
Idle control device?
performance programmer ?
Data logging device?
Anything aftermarket added on,only you know what you have.

With the year of your vehicle the only way I can think of is to disconnect each module one at a time and see if communication is permitted.
Eventually the shorted or faulty module will be determined and correction begun. For some reason in the back of my little mind it was a good idea to start with disconnecting the DPFE sensor (Differential Pressure Feedback System). and Somebody is going to have to do this or you will never get to the bottom of the problem.
What are your thoughts, after grumbling about NYS Insp.

Last edited by hanky; 07-11-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

When there a comm dropout, how long does it last?
Is it loosing power to the DLC, or just fails comm?

Old 07-12-2019, 10:21 PM

Folks I'm very grateful for you all helping with this very frustrating problem. Hayapower, you know communication drops out completely whence the inspection facilities hook up to my OBD connection and start running the test.... it'll indicate its recognition of the signal but will err just as the computer is ready for its testing sequence